New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

iWeb: lose .com/enter from first page

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

I would like to make my first page not have the /enter in it mydomain.com/enter

I want it to just say mydomain.com

For search engine optimization. How do I do this? Thank you for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

Can you explain this better, I'm a bit confused. The page that will show up when you type in http://yourdomain.com will be the file you uploaded as index.html.

The only way that it would show up in http://yourdomain.com/enter is if you created a /enter folder and uploaded a index.html file to that directory.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

I think you've got it. Basically, when people enter in www.christopherdomain.com i would like them not to be routed to www.christopherdomain.com/enter.html.

I tried deleting the Index.html file. I then renamed enter.html: changing it to index.html.

But that seems to just screw up the whole website and stuff doesn't load. What is the best way to accomplish what I want? Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

See if your domain hosting (not your web hosting) company offers an option to "mask" your domain. GoDaddy has this, and all of my sites have the option turned on.

If you follow the link in my sig you'll be at www.cheapdateshow.com but the "real" URL is http://fourthtimearound.libsyn.com/index.php And no matter where you go in the blog your address window will always show www.cheapdateshow.com.

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

hmm renaming it shouldnt mess things up what happends exactly when you do that. or like carbiner23 said you can just mask your domain so they will always see www.christopherdomain.com no matter where they go on your site
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Thanks, caribiner23. Yeah, Godaddy will allow me to do masking... but I thought that was for if I had, say, a .mac account but wanted my domain to be visible. I didn't know I could use it with a page of my own website.

But anyway, my interest in this was for Search Engine Optimization. My understanding is, if you can set it up so your website loads as www.caribiner23.com , you do better with search engines.

I think there must be a way to do it, so the Enter page shows just the domain.com.

Thanks again to all, i am grateful for the help and suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJK View Post
hmm renaming it shouldnt mess things up what happends exactly when you do that. or like carbiner23 said you can just mask your domain so they will always see www.christopherdomain.com no matter where they go on your site
Hey, AnthonyJK, i believe that what i did was: killed the file Index.html, then changed Enter.html to Index.html.

Is that the correct way to do it? That should work? Maybe i did it wrong. Thanks so much,

Christopher
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Website I'm working on | problems with swf in ie7 »