New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Which Text Editor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arai_speed

arai_speed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hey everyone, I'm a web developer and I'm looking for a cool "light" text editor to use.

I currently use Smultron and like it but I'm wondering if there is something else? I have Dreamweaver 2004 but that loading that app feels like a boat. I want a simple light text editor with color coding and possibly tag completion.

I'm looking for opinions on what you are all using out there.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Coriolis

Coriolis is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.16 Ghz, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 250GB HD

Aria speed -

I also use Dreamweaver, but there are many a time where I just use TextWrangler or Nvu. Hope that might be what you are looking for in a light text editor.
QUOTE Thanks
arai_speed

arai_speed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks Coriolis, I'm really just looking for opinions on what people are using. I'll give Nvu a try.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Try FreeWay, but it's not free. And try Taco too. Taco is very simple and lightweight, and though it doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor it has a preview button to show it in your browser. It's free!

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
stonysleep

stonysleep will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11

There's a huge range of text editors out there
Of course there's the free one you get with every OSX install: TextEdit
Personally am a fan of SubEthaEdit though it's no longer free - if you can afford it there's BBEdit, though I don't think it's worth the money
There's also Vim if you like the vi terminal text editor (personally prefer pico so not always to my taste).
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Here's a link to TextWranger that replaces BBEdit Lite.

Nvu is full of bugs. If you close a page, you have to quit the program to reopen it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Another vote for TextWrangler. It's free and works great for doing HTML. It's a first rate editor.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Smultron & TextWrangler are both in my arsenal of text editors.
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

Panic Coda

THE BEST!
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

i quite like textedit. i've tried smultron and a couple others. but i'm not one for all the features when it comes to HTML, i just want a place that will let me write the code.
i am currently downloading textwrangler to try it out, thanks for the link brown study

EDIT::
i just tried out textwrangler, and i am going to third that vote. i fell in love with that program instantly. mainly because of that beige line that runs across, showing you what line you are one. That is probably one of the handiest things i've ever seen in an app.
QUOTE Thanks
verbatim210

verbatim210 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I read about a similiar topic on this forum and a user suggested TextMate.

I've been using it ever since, and scored 100% on my first programming test haha. Sorry, had to gloat.

It was a live in class test, surprised the supervisor allowed me to use the MacBook.

TextMate:
-Free download
-Colour code
-Light weight

It's a simple editor that works for me. Haven't explored too many editors, but if there's a better one I'd like to try it.
QUOTE Thanks
supergper

supergper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger

TextMate is one of the best, but it costs. TextWrangler is one of the best free apps. I personally use Coda or TextMate. I've used most (including Smultron) and absolutely loved TextMate once I tried it. Coda is an all-in-one package.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

I use TacoHTML editor. Has color separation and is pretty nice for the ASP (gasp!) pages I make.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I know this sounds crazy...html editor? | Help with mini mac »