New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

What program works with Frontpage?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

00bolt

00bolt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook - 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM

Hey guys, Im a newbie Mac'er. In fact I just bought my first Mac today. Its an IMac. I dont plan on doing much web design with it at all. But Id like the capability if I want to.

I own my own business and I am my own webmaster. But I know VERY LITTLE about webdesign. Basically I created my entire site by just coping another site and changing text/images and moving a few things around with Frontpage. I dont know coding, I only use the design portion and litterally click and drag stuff.

Here is my question. My website is for the most part done. Although I do still have a few dead links and occasionally need to update some of my products (change prices, add new items, etc). So its not something I would do daily. In fact 99% of the time I mess with it, Ill probably be using my PC (because I have a 22" monitor). But if/when Im out of town with some free time I might want to do a few things, Id like to be able to on my laptop.

So, if I save all my files (i think they are all just html and jpg) on a CD or flash drive. Can I update/change things with the Mac, save them... then do it again another day with my PC?

Also, what Mac program is easy to use for dragging/dropping for people like me with no coding expierence?
QUOTE Thanks
00bolt

btw, here is my site

www.awardsandbeyond.com
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

Nice site.

I would run away from Front Page. It's not up to standard and it puts a lot of extra junk in your HTML most of the time.

I would suggest Dreamweaver but it's not the cheapest software out there and about anyother web editing program is better than Front Page.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Screwball6986

Screwball6986 is on a distinguished road

If you are in school or have a kid, or other family member in school, you can get software on the cheap at campusestore.com

1.5 ghz 15" Powerbook G4 10.4 Tiger
MacBook White 2.0Ghz C2D 1Gig 10.4 Tiger
MacMini 1.25Ghz G4 1GB 40GB
QUOTE Thanks
00bolt

I have a son, but he is in 1st grade... does that count?
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00bolt View Post
I have a son, but he is in 1st grade... does that count?
Give it a shot.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

If you are looking for an easy web design app., I would suggest you to try RapidWeaver. It is cheap and really easy to use.

You can edit *.html files in any platform. Try one of the text editors (TextMate in my favourite).

NVU is an open source(free) application like Dreamweaver with slightly less features.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just bought my first Mac today. Its an IMac.
Congrats! But I thought you wanted something for travel, and were planning on getting a Macbook Pro? (what happened?)
QUOTE Thanks
00bolt

well I debated getting a MB or IBook, but never planned on a MBP. I got a pretty good deal on this Ibook (about $500) and it seems loaded with all the bells and whistles so I took it. Its got 1.33ghz, 1GB ram, 40gb HD, blutooth, airport, and hes including a bunch of software (Office, Dreamweaver (not sure which one), virtual pc (with windows 2000, said it runs better than XP)... and some other stuff. He is a student at Purdue and got a bunch of software for like $20 each.

Im gonna see how the Dreamweaver or iWeb works out. Maybe they will be fine for me. I might end up regretting my decision and selling this ibook and getting a MB, but I figured for now its a good starter. I really didnt want to spend an extra $500 right now....
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
virtual pc (with windows 2000, said it runs better than XP)
Hmmmmmm....

Quote:
Im gonna see how the Dreamweaver or iWeb works out.
I'm not familiar with iWeb. Give it a shot. Dreamweaver's a great program, but be prepared for a much steeper learning curve (compared to FrontPage).

Quote:
I really didnt want to spend an extra $500 right now....
Gotcha.

Good luck! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

If it matters, Dreamweaver is pretty much the industry standard.

QUOTE Thanks
KenMac

KenMac is on a distinguished road

If you just want to change around links, text, images, etc., without getting into coding, would recommend Macromedia Contribute.

If you can use Word or FrontPage, Contribute will be easy to learn, & you can actually edit the site while it's up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dreamweaver help | Contribute any other options »