New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

iWeb Ideas

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

I'm new to this iWeb/iLife thing on a Mac. I just recently got a Mac, coming from a PC, last year. I'm still learning all the new things that I am able perform on a Mac and how easy things can be. One of the new things I'd like to learn to do is create a site. I just opened up a new .mac account and can now publish iWeb sites to my .mac account.

I'm just not sure what type of site I can create. I know this seems kind of a stupid question, but what kind of sites have you guys created? Blogs, picture galleries, journals, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

It's not a stupid question. I just created my own website between Saturday night and Sunday. The link to it is in my signature. Mostly I'd like to share photos with family and friends in a web page format. While this was my first experience with iWeb, it worked great! (My .mac account is a trial account right now.)

If you're near an Apple store, see if they have workshops. Also, check out the Apple website for helpful iLife tutorials. Here are a couple links for you:

http://www.apple.com/retail/workshops/
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/

I attended a workshop on iWeb at one of my local Apple stores. When I created my website I stepped through the iWeb tutorials somewhat, enough to get started anyway, and jumped to other parts as needed.

I don't know where I'm going next with this, but iWeb gives me a way to quickly make a decent web page. At least I think it is decent.

Hope this helps!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the sites and suggestions. I'd love to attend a workshop on a weekend. There's a nearby Apple store at work and at home.

The first idea that came to mind:

Create a website detailing my most recent vacation. Complete with blogs, photos, maybe a video.

Can I keep the website private? I'd only like to share it with certain people.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
Thanks for the sites and suggestions. I'd love to attend a workshop on a weekend. There's a nearby Apple store at work and at home.

The first idea that came to mind:

Create a website detailing my most recent vacation. Complete with blogs, photos, maybe a video.

Can I keep the website private? I'd only like to share it with certain people.
Sounds like a great idea! Go for it. Don't worry about getting it perfect. Just start it, and watch what you can do with it.

Yes you can keep it private. You set up an account name and password through iWeb that are for the web site and NOT the same as for your .mac account. Maybe you'd use "vanilla" for the account name and "bean" for the password. Give these to your intended viewers (victims?!) and they'll have access. (While you probably don't need to be exotic on the account name and password, pick things unlikely to be guessed.)

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what type of setup for reunions? Forum? Free chat group? | Dreamweaver 8 add-ons »