New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Web design ideas...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Hey everyone

On my photography website (www.jemdna.co.uk) i use one of the default themes from iWeb since i dont really have time to design my own.

Now ive looked at some of the others and they also look very cool but not sure if they look "professional"

I am currently using "Gazette" but im also liking the look of "Freestyle"

What are your suggestions?

Ive also made this banner, (colours can change to fit scheme of site but itll mainly be used in emails and signatures on forums), what do you think?

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

nice photos.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Thanks Christm

Whats your view on the site layout? Do you think it would look better with "freestyle" ?

~~ TS ~~

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I just remembered those old jokes about Russia, if i wanted to use that with iWeb and let's say, Dreamweaver, it would be: "With Dreamweaver you use templates, with iWeb templates use you".
Now, let me explain my point. Because iWeb comes with all those templates, it is easy to load one and put all your stuff in it, so basically your stuff adapts to the template. Your website, that should represent your identity, becomes the template, and so your identity on the web becomes the template.
My advice is basically, make the template work for you, change it, put one picture where it tells you to put 3, put two text columns where it tells you to put 1, change the fonts, change the colors, change the background, and if it doesn't want to cooperate, change the template.
Gazzette is more elegant, but Freestyle has a more younger look, that is why is one of the most used around, i wouln't recommend it, also it is heavy to load and the extras will distract from your photos.
I would recommend you to use Modern, but changing the size of the top banners/photos, so you can adapt that banner you made to fit (again, adapt the template to the banner, not the banner to the template). Consider the option of having your photos inside a Blog-type page, so you can add more things to the presentation, all fields (date, body) can be ereased until you have the rigth layout.
Finally, as part of shameless self-promotion, take a look here:
http://web.mac.com/mraya
If you like one, go ahead and download it. I haven't work with those too much lately but if you find a problem let me know so i can fix it.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

i think you should try both. post both sorts and we can all decide.

plz check out my new pages. updated them and the blog.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Got a question for the web hosting gurus...

Ive noticed when i do an update, it is propogating through the internet fast enough but many peoples browsers are keeping a cache copy of the site and so only time they see the new site is if they refresh the page (usually 3 or 4 times)

Is there a way i could force a refresh of the page (cookie?) say every 24 hours?

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
christm

i dont know. with my site when i test it i have to refresh my page a few times.

because it only updates the page and doesnt completly make a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderSurrender View Post
Got a question for the web hosting gurus...

Ive noticed when i do an update, it is propogating through the internet fast enough but many peoples browsers are keeping a cache copy of the site and so only time they see the new site is if they refresh the page (usually 3 or 4 times)

Is there a way i could force a refresh of the page (cookie?) say every 24 hours?

~~ TS ~~
When you update your site it happens instantly - it doesn't propagate like a domain does. It's their browsers that are caching it. You can a) use meta tags tp revent caching and b)send headers to prevent sites from caching.

Meta tags:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT" 
/> 
<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />
It's better to get the server to do it though - here's an example with PHP:

PHP Code:
<?php 
header
('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT'); 
header('Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate'); 
header('Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0'FALSE); 
header('Pragma: no-cache'); 
?>
The meta tag way is better than nothing if you can't use ASP, JSP, Perl, PHP, etc but the problem is if your user is going through a proxy it will ignore it.

And to confuse things Safari has some serious caching issues . . . always test your sites in Camino, Firefox or Opera.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

I'll add the meta-tags as soon as possible!

With the PHP stuff, im fairly certain i can chuck tht on there, but im gonna give a shout to the hosts first, see where i stand

thanks very much DrQuincy

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

You're welcome.

Any problems just PM me!
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Hey everyone

Just letting people know that i have now updated my site, new pictures and the theme has been edited slightly!

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I really dig the new design, TS! Looks very classy.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Thanks MHC

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

No problem. Your choice of colours is very nice!
QUOTE Thanks
BradNolan

BradNolan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 4GB RAM 250 GBHD, MacBook Black. 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 1GB memory. 120GB hard drive.

I am using iWeb...well that is a fluid term (using) i really dont get it.

Brad Nolan.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OpenLaszlo: Free Flash! | is .mac required for web posting? »