New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

#include for HTML?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

A noob web page coder's question:

I am "hand coding" a new web site in HTML, which I have learned by reading the very helpful book "HTML Goodies". Being "self taught", there seem to be a few gaps in my knowledge!

A key one is this. My web site will have numerous pages, and they will all have an identical navigation pane that allows you to move between pages. Rather than copy the HTML code for this panel over and over into each page's source, I would like to write up this page section as a separate HTML file and somehow include into each page's source, rather like the #include directive does in C/C++ source code.

Is there a way to do this in HTML?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Then you need to learn php my friend

Code:
<php
   @include_once('name_of_file_to_include');
?>
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

You may be right! However, for now I will stick to my original question!

Does anyone know how to do this in HTML?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

not possible, there is no #include in HTML code. You could do it via frame sets (which are a bad design mistake) or you can make the nav bar in flash and just embed the flash file at the top of each html page.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

There are a few ways of doing it, the most '#include' like being SSI (Server Side Includes). This is supported by the Apache web server (that comes with OS X) but I'm not sure if it's turned on. It's certainly something to look at if you don't want to learn PHP just to use includes
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If you're using straight html then you want to look into server side includes.

Keep in mind that some hosting services turn that feature off. They suck. You should be able to do a quick test to find out. If your just using your OS X box, then you can set it up if it is turned off.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yep SSI, but that's not really html either. The ONLY way to do it in HTML is using iframes like was mentioned above, or frames (frameset) Both iframe and frameset's are not recommended, but it is the only answer to your question if you refuse to use a dynamic language.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks everyone. Amazing! It is hard to believe that such an obvious feature doesn't exist in HTML! I guess that this is why I didn't find it in the HTML Goodies book.

I am guessing that any concept of macros doesn't exist either - this would be another way of achieving it.

I guess I will just copy and paste. As an old software designer, that makes me crazy, but I guess that is my only route.

QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Contrary to popular belief (and what many web designers might tell you), HTML isn't a programming language and so therefore wouldn't have things like macros, commands and statements to do anything. It's just a way of representing the way a document should be formatted. It's a document format, pure and simple.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yep, what cazabam said. It's good to make that clarification. Im a web developer, so I work with PHP and MySQL etc and sure I know HTML since it's a huge part of what I do also, but anything that is dynamic I create using PHP, html is just a markup language "Hyper Text Markup Language" Anyways good luck and you should really look into PHP it would make your life much easier especially for what you are doing
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with ISP file transfer | Word Press ?: Global access control? »