New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

FTP problems, any ideas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gemigene

gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Hi,

I have a Hosting account with DowntownHost and I always run into problems when I use a FTP program (Cyberduck and Transmit) to upload files to my account. Both program give me timeout errors when uplading multiple files and choke on just about any size of file (even 4K. Gif's).

Funny thing is, I also use the same programs to upload to 2 free Hosting accounts that I have without any problem.

Any ideas?

Gemigene
QUOTE Thanks
jadefoodog

new host maybe??
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Agreed. sound's like your host has issues. Maybe you need a new one.

QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadefoodog View Post
new host maybe??
It crossed my mind but I went with them after 2 weeks of searching, reading Terms of Agreements, webmatser's forums, etc. and they came in highly recommended, not a single bad review and most of all, honest and excellent support (except for the FTP problem which they think could be from my end, they're still trying to help me out)...

Kinda confusing,
Gemigene
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Have you asked them what ports they use for FTP? They could be using non-standard ports that you need to open up on your Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Have you asked them what ports they use for FTP? They could be using non-standard ports that you need to open up on your Mac.
We tried that also and they do use standard ports but to no avail...

Thanks,
Gemigene
:confused:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Always one to share the stupidity of others with others, someone left this as rep for me about my first comment above:

"Oh wait! I cant my the Mac! no way! Macs are perfect, it's always someone elses fault."

No spelling corrections were made, but the grammatical errors are amusing. To bad for that person that the rep had zero impact on me (no points taken)!

Back OT, it seems odd that you can use the App with other servers, but not yours. Do have Passive FTP enabled?

QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Always one to share the stupidity of others with others, someone left this as rep for me about my first comment above:

"Oh wait! I cant my the Mac! no way! Macs are perfect, it's always someone elses fault."

No spelling corrections were made, but the grammatical errors are amusing. To bad for that person that the rep had zero impact on me (no points taken)!
What the heck was that all about? LOL

Quote:
Back OT, it seems odd that you can use the App with other servers, but not yours. Do have Passive FTP enabled?
Yes, passive is enabled. Could it have anything to do with my OS-X firewall settings or router?

Gemigene
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you tried the reverse and turned off Passive Transfers? I have had that work a few times in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

In my experience, these sorts of problems always relate to Passive mode one way or the other. I generally revert to good 'ol Terminal to debug them. Start a Terminal session and type "ftp your_host_name".

Enter your username and password when prompted.

Now enter the command "ls". This lists the contents of the directory you have just signed into. If you don't get anything back, you have passive set wrong, usually. In this case, kill the program (usually CTL-C will do this) and launch ftp again.

This time, after you log in, type "PASV". If this comes back as unrecogized, try "EPSV". If this comes back as unrecognized, try "PASSIVE". Different ftp servers use different forms for the command, hence the multiple options above. This command toggles the state of the passive setting. Now try the "ls" command again. This time, hopefully, you get the listing you have requested.

If the above works, you have confirmed that you have a passive setting problem. You will now have to play with your ftp client of choice to make it do the same thing you just bludgeoned the command line ftp program into doing.

By the way, if you are interested, the command line FTP client is a very good client. You can download by using the "get" command, and you can upload using the "put" command. I hate to admit it, but after two years of using Linux prior to coming to Macs, command line ftp remains my favorite ftp client.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Problem fixed. The CEO of DowntownHost himself saw my post on another forum and moved my hosting account to another server. Talk about great service, I highly recommend this hosting company.

Thanks,
Gemigene
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Try FTP'ing from the console window and see if you still experience the same problems!
QUOTE Thanks
Charlie Evatt

Charlie Evatt is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with Transmit to my server, but not when I turn off the firewall on my Mac. Anyone else had this problem and could help me sort it out? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I hate to admit it, but after two years of using Linux prior to coming to Macs, command line ftp remains my favorite ftp client.
Yip, my favourite too!
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

i use Cyberduck and it works perfect. and is really easy to use just google it and you should find some download sites.

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange Characters instead of .. | Looking for a new host »