New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Dreamweaver replacement?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JackRabbit

JackRabbit is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I didn't know if this should go here or in the software reviews!

I recently bought an intel Mac. I rushed into it, and didn't realize I couldn't run Classic anymore. Since DW was the only classic program I was still hanging on to, I threw in the towel with regard to trying to run OS 9. **

Anyhow, I only own a version of Dreamweaver that runs in OS 9. I can't afford the new Dreamweaver!

Any recommendations for some afordable software? Is that iWeb any good? Looks kinda campy ...

Thanks in advance for your help.

** I did try to use SheepShaver to run OS9 (out of principle at least!) but I still get “This program will not run on your computer” when I use SheepShaver for the first time and try to launch the OS 9 install. GRR!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

iWeb is great, if you want a really simple site with basic templates. If you want something a little more involved... I have just the thing for you.

Nvu

http://www.nvu.com/index.php

I have not yet used it on OS X, but I used it on Windows and it's great. It is almost as powerful as Dreamweaver, way better than Frontpage (not that you'd use it) and has both WYSIWYG and more advanced HTML authoring capabilities. There is probably very little you could want to do, and not be able to do on this.

There is no Intel version yet, but it may work under Rosetta. Perhaps you should try it?
QUOTE Thanks
JackRabbit

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try. The price is right too

Do you use the FTP feature? Currently using Cyberduck ...

Yes, Frontpage is the worst evah!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
Thanks! I think I'll give it a try. The price is right too

Do you use the FTP feature? Currently using Cyberduck ...

Yes, Frontpage is the worst evah!
For FTP I use Fetch. It's very nice, easy to use and has a great Dock Icon.
QUOTE Thanks
JackRabbit

I ended up getting Go Live (thank you education discount!)

I love it so much. Even better than Dreamweaver I think!

Unfortunately NVu isn't out yet for intel macs.
QUOTE Thanks
DrQuincy

DrQuincy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I personally hate WYSIWYG web editors and think they are responsible for a lot of bad code out there. For me a good text editor with syntax highlighting, FTP and find / replace features are all I need.

Since getting my Mac I'm using TextWranger - which free from Bare Bones software. It does all that and more.
QUOTE Thanks
nicnic

nicnic is on a distinguished road

I've just got a Mac. So far I'm finding Textmate, CSSEdit 2.0 and fetch are all I need for HTML/PHP, CSS and FTP respectively. Such a breath of fresh air coming from a Windows environment let me tell you!! Expose rocks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Media Temple SS too GS | Please look at this website through on MAC »