New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Please Test this site on a MAC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sarah

OK. This is not a joke.

I thought I'd come straight to the horses mouth.

One of my students was unable to see my site. She uses a MAC and (she thinks) it is OS10. She is using Internet Explorer but my Flash site was just a dark blank screen. She updated the Flash plugin but couldn't see anything.

The site uses the SWFObject but if MAC users are having problems - maybe I screwed up something.

The site is here: http://www.mime11.com

Are you able to see it. If not - any idea where it might be going wrong?
I'd appreciate you mentioning MAC Flavor and browser if it doesn't work.
Thanks, Sarah.
QUOTE Thanks
Guardian

Your site works great for me I opened it with Safari
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Looks fine to me - using 10.3.9 and Safari. Nice looking site!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You haven't screwed up, in a way your student has. :black:
Internet Explorer has not been updated for Mac in several years, nor will it be updated any further in the future. I would suggest that you ask your student to use a more current browser (like Safari that was already mentioned) and your site would work fine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It's already been said but IE on the Mac is old and probably the last browser you'd want to use.

She should use Firefox, Safari or Opera (I'd suggest FF has the best compatibility using an old Mac and if she has IE, she probably is using an old version of OS X)
QUOTE Thanks
Quruli

Works for me too. Also an excellent site.
QUOTE Thanks
Sarah

Thanks for the nice replies. So I'll assume OS10 is quite old then. (I don't want to offend her). So Safari should be free and just work fine with OS10 hopefully(?).
Thanks for the advice everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

OS10 is OS X. The concern is more what version of OS X it is. FireFox should work fine with 10.2 or higher, but if she really means just OS X 10.0 or 10.1, then she needs an OS upgrade first!
QUOTE Thanks
Sarah

ok Thanks for that.

I'll find out what version exactly and suggest the Safari or Firefox Route and hint about an upgrade if necessary.

cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
Thanks for the nice replies. So I'll assume OS10 is quite old then. (I don't want to offend her). So Safari should be free and just work fine with OS10 hopefully(?).
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Yes, OS X has been out for almost 7 years now. Version 10.2 introduced Safari almost 5 years ago, so assuming her machine was purchased within that time frame she will have Safari already installed.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

The site appears to work properly on my G4 Mac running the latest OS X (10.4.8) and the latest Firefox, Version 2.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook
It's already been said but IE on the Mac is old and probably the last browser you'd want to use.
If your student is running Internet Explorer, she may even be using the ancient Mac OS 9 or earlier.

I booted my machine into OS 9 and tried the site with a Mozilla browser, but not surprisingly it didn't work. A notice appeared telling me to upgrade Flash, which is impossible with that old system. (Even the link to upgrade doesn't work.)

I know you didn't ask for a site critique, but The Oil Factor was a bit confusing. I expected the video to start automatically because all the previous videos had. But the hint to start it by clicking on it appeared only after I had moved the cursor over it to discover whether a click would start it, by which time the hint comes too late. Is it possible to have the "Click to start" notice appear without a cursor hover?

It's a terrific site.
QUOTE Thanks
Sarah

Thanks Brown Study.

Thanks about the Oil section too. I've done a quick fix and I'll mess some more when I get the free time.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

It also works with mine. using safari. I only use internet explore for those 1% of websites that won't work with safari.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating a 360 Virtual Tour | enabling mail(); function »