Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Web Design and Hosting (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/web-design-hosting/)
-   -   Please Test this site on a MAC (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/web-design-hosting/44229-please-test-site-mac.html)

Sarah 10-30-2006 08:30 AM

Please Test this site on a MAC

OK. This is not a joke.

I thought I'd come straight to the horses mouth.

One of my students was unable to see my site. She uses a MAC and (she thinks) it is OS10. She is using Internet Explorer but my Flash site was just a dark blank screen. She updated the Flash plugin but couldn't see anything.

The site uses the SWFObject but if MAC users are having problems - maybe I screwed up something.

The site is here: http://www.mime11.com

Are you able to see it. If not - any idea where it might be going wrong?
I'd appreciate you mentioning MAC Flavor and browser if it doesn't work.
Thanks, Sarah.

Guardian 10-30-2006 08:33 AM

Your site works great for me I opened it with Safari

PapaNoHair 10-30-2006 08:35 AM

Looks fine to me - using 10.3.9 and Safari. Nice looking site!

D3v1L80Y 10-30-2006 08:36 AM

You haven't screwed up, in a way your student has. :black:
Internet Explorer has not been updated for Mac in several years, nor will it be updated any further in the future. I would suggest that you ask your student to use a more current browser (like Safari that was already mentioned) and your site would work fine.

Zoolook 10-30-2006 08:39 AM

It's already been said but IE on the Mac is old and probably the last browser you'd want to use.

She should use Firefox, Safari or Opera (I'd suggest FF has the best compatibility using an old Mac and if she has IE, she probably is using an old version of OS X)

Quruli 10-30-2006 08:40 AM

Works for me too. Also an excellent site.

Sarah 10-30-2006 08:52 AM

Thanks for the nice replies. So I'll assume OS10 is quite old then. (I don't want to offend her). So Safari should be free and just work fine with OS10 hopefully(?).
Thanks for the advice everyone.

cazabam 10-30-2006 09:11 AM

OS10 is OS X. The concern is more what version of OS X it is. FireFox should work fine with 10.2 or higher, but if she really means just OS X 10.0 or 10.1, then she needs an OS upgrade first!

Sarah 10-30-2006 09:19 AM

ok Thanks for that.

I'll find out what version exactly and suggest the Safari or Firefox Route and hint about an upgrade if necessary.

cheers.

D3v1L80Y 10-30-2006 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah
Thanks for the nice replies. So I'll assume OS10 is quite old then. (I don't want to offend her). So Safari should be free and just work fine with OS10 hopefully(?).
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yes, OS X has been out for almost 7 years now. Version 10.2 introduced Safari almost 5 years ago, so assuming her machine was purchased within that time frame she will have Safari already installed.

Brown Study 10-30-2006 09:32 AM

The site appears to work properly on my G4 Mac running the latest OS X (10.4.8) and the latest Firefox, Version 2.0.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook
It's already been said but IE on the Mac is old and probably the last browser you'd want to use.

If your student is running Internet Explorer, she may even be using the ancient Mac OS 9 or earlier.

I booted my machine into OS 9 and tried the site with a Mozilla browser, but not surprisingly it didn't work. A notice appeared telling me to upgrade Flash, which is impossible with that old system. (Even the link to upgrade doesn't work.)

I know you didn't ask for a site critique, but The Oil Factor was a bit confusing. I expected the video to start automatically because all the previous videos had. But the hint to start it by clicking on it appeared only after I had moved the cursor over it to discover whether a click would start it, by which time the hint comes too late. Is it possible to have the "Click to start" notice appear without a cursor hover?

It's a terrific site.

Sarah 10-30-2006 05:20 PM

Thanks Brown Study.

Thanks about the Oil section too. I've done a quick fix and I'll mess some more when I get the free time.

Cheers.

mr g5 10-30-2006 06:54 PM

It also works with mine. using safari. I only use internet explore for those 1% of websites that won't work with safari.