New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Websites and Databases

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

Howdy =)

I'm creating a website with a backend database.

Basically it's for a car company where eventually, the company will be able to add, delete and edit cars for sale on their website. Each car will have a spec given to them, along with a picture. I'd also like to insert a search facility on the homepage as well (IE: Car make/used or new car etc)

Just wondering how hard this is and if anyone is familiar with any websites where I'm able to get a bit more information on how to set this up.

Cheers
Liam
QUOTE Thanks
steinm10

steinm10 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to introduce you to the Open Source world. I have a few websites setup right now using Joomla, an Open Source content management system that is a breeeeze to use. I'd highly recommend checking it out, www.joomla.com. They have hundreds of components and modules that you can add to it to customize it to your liking. Just to give you a sense...

www.motoroildepot.com
www.mattsteinman.com

Both are developed using joomla and additional components that I downloaded.

Let me know if you have any questions, but I would recommend Joomla.
QUOTE Thanks
basem

Yeah, I agree 110% For what you just described Joomla is the way to go.

It's free, stable, and customizable to your hearts content. I'd also recommend a module called Hot Property that would run your 'shop'. The search feature in it is beyond anything else I've seen yet.

AND, check out this host company:

http://www.bluehost.com/track/ahcommun/text1

They cheap, they provide huge accounts with a bunch of add on domains (host like 6 site off one account). And the best part is they have this thing called "fantastico" that auto installs Joomla for you. It's as easy as it gets. Not to mention their support is beyond compare.

Even though I can read/tweak code I rarely do anymore b/c with Joomla there's little reason beyond hacks to look at code. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

This may sound dumb so I apologizes in advance,

But how do you use Joomla? I downloaded it and have just got a folder full of php, html files?

Regards,

Chris,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virtual Bookshop website required | Files not behaving »