New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

iWeb publishing to hosts other than .mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

miremba

miremba is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to create a site using iWeb and be able to upload it to a host other than .mac? If so, should all functionality (ie. slideshow in particular) be in working order?
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

I believe that you can publish to other hosts, but some of the functionality of the site may be disabled. I'm not sure of the specifics though, I'd check the help menu in iWeb.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
Pelican

The info on IWEB states that some of the features will not work unless you publish to .MAC. One of the things that it says will not work is the slide show and I think movie functions will not work as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
The info on IWEB states that some of the features will not work unless you publish to .MAC. One of the things that it says will not work is the slide show and I think movie functions will not work as well.
I have had no issue with any of the functions. All you do is publish to a folder, then use an FTP app to move the entire content of that folder to your host.

www.zoolook.us

Slide show works. I've also had the podcast and movie working fine too.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
vandal31593

vandal31593 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, iWeb sites work perfectly on other hosts than .Mac including slideshow, but the only think that doesn't work is probably the counter because it's not on a .Mac website. I have a domain name by GoDaddy and web hosting by IX Web Hosting and i have a site made from iWeb which i am hosting. All you have to do is get a application called Web Echo, then you can choose your iWeb site folder(the one which you published to the folder in iWeb) and then enter your FTP(file transfer protocol) info and it will update it automatically! And when you update the site on iWeb, just save it to the same place and Web Echo will publish only updated files so you wouldn't have to overwrite everything.

If you are going to use IX web Hosting you must name your site site.com(with a .com at the end) because I think thats how it works with them. Have fun and good luck with your site!

iMac C2D
Macbook Pro CDuo
iPhone 3G 8GB
twitter.com/hadimirza
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I have had no issue with any of the functions. All you do is publish to a folder, then use an FTP app to move the entire content of that folder to your host.

www.zoolook.us

Slide show works. I've also had the podcast and movie working fine too.
Agreed. Most of the individual pages, except the main page, on my site have been done in iWeb.

QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Password protection, comments for blogs, RSS and counters are features available only for .Mac accounts.
Slideshows are different if your page is not stored in a .Mac address, but they are still funtional.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I believe there is a more advanced slideshow feature that displays thumbnails at the top of web page allowing you to click on them to display the larger version.

Also, I don't think blogging response from readers works.

When you post after the first time to .Mac, only the files needing updating get transfered, saving on upload time. On any other service either you upload the entire thing, or you have to manualy figure it out on you own.
QUOTE Thanks
cwarnar

cwarnar is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I had a question for vandal31593, I am trying to upload my iWeb site on IX and losing my formatting and images after I upload my html files... I have not tried Web Echo yet.

Any advice anyone can offer would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Curt
QUOTE Thanks
cwarnar

cwarnar is on a distinguished road

Nver mind, fixed the problem, if anyone has issues such as this try Cyber Duck... program is free and is money... solved my problems.
QUOTE Thanks
pskoufy

pskoufy is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone!

I was reading all of your helpful posts and thought I'd pose a question. I'm new to using iWeb and I don't have a .mac account. I did download Cyberduck as someone recommended, but so far its chinese to me.
So if I work on a website on iWeb and want it published to my .com for instance, I would publish to a folder from iWeb and upload the site with Cyberduck? I'm really not clear on how to use cyberduck and the how to's weren't very helpful (to me anyway). If anyone has some light to shine on this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
dasm1

dasm1 is on a distinguished road

I did this site for a client with iWeb.
It was uploaded to a a different place (not .mac)
Check and see...

http://www.prestonclubhomes.com/Welcome.html

Comments welcome
QUOTE Thanks
Shira

Shira is on a distinguished road

I publish a webpage using iWeb to our own domain, not .mac, and with the last update, the page is asking for user ID and password on Internet Explorer, Navigator and Safari (works fine in Opera and Firefox), as well as not being able to use any of the links. Only thing changed was the index.html page. Any suggestions? I'm not html-friendly, nor a programmer, so please keep it simple.
Thanks, Shira
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« css/html question | Dreamweaver Spry Menu Help »