New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

GoLive! or BBEdit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zooey

I think I've weeded it down to these two programs (as they're in my price range), but I'm not sure which one is better for me, so I thought I'd ask some advice.

Here's the situation:

I've used geocities for half a year now, and I've outgrown it (and have found it far too limiting), so it's time to take the plunge and get the domain name, etc.

I have no experience with HTML coding, so I'm rather intimidated by having to use it, though if I'm forced to I'm willing to learn it. But which is the easier program to do this with? Professional reviews rave about GoLive!, but the customer reviews are very negative at Amazon.com, which sends up huge red lights as far as I'm concerned. BBEdit was brought to my attention from users here as I kept seeing it pop up in various recommendation threads, so I'm assuming it's somewhat user friendly. Would that be a better way to go for a rookie? Or is their something completely different that would serve me better?

For reference, this is my geocities site, and though I'd like to do a bit more, this is a good reference in regards of approximately what I'm shooting for.

And if it makes a difference, I have a Powerbook and currently am using 10.2.8. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Ok from your experience.. do not get BBEdit.. it's not a GUI and you would need to know a decent amount of html.. I am a web developer so it's perfect for me since I deal in code all day long. I also wouldnt go with GoLive just because of the exact thing you said.. not a lot of customers happy. I personally would get Dreamweaver.. it will do everything you will want it to and it really is a great program. You can get the expensive Dreamweaver or you could get.. hm.. I can't remember the name.. Contribute? something like that..
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I love GoLive im a switcher from Dreamweaver
QUOTE Thanks
Zooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Ok from your experience.. do not get BBEdit.. it's not a GUI and you would need to know a decent amount of html.. I am a web developer so it's perfect for me since I deal in code all day long. I also wouldnt go with GoLive just because of the exact thing you said.. not a lot of customers happy. I personally would get Dreamweaver.. it will do everything you will want it to and it really is a great program. You can get the expensive Dreamweaver or you could get.. hm.. I can't remember the name.. Contribute? something like that..
Thanks so much- that's the kind of info I'm looking for!

Is this the Contribute you're referring to? From what I can tell, you can't actually build the website with Contribute. Or perhaps I'm missing something and you can, they're just really advertising the editing capabilities.

And I'd get Dreamweaver- but it's too expensive! I'm just a poor college student.
QUOTE Thanks
Zooey

Okay, so I can find Dreamweaver within my price range- do you think it is the best program for me?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

If it's within your price range I say go for it! And yes make sure you get it with the student discount I've tried quite a few Golive included and really loved everything that Dreamweaver could do. I havent tried the new Golive, which is reviewed in the latest MacAddict it got a 4 out of 5 dots and:

Pros: Visual CSS authoring. Redesigned interface. Strong XML and portable device support.
Cons: Missing Dynamic Content module. No easy way to get InDesign docs into HTML for hte Web.

You can view the Dreamweaver Review here:
http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0401/rev.studomx.html
QUOTE Thanks
Thommy

GoLive is user friendly, and is easy to learn but for some reason I can't stand all of the extra crap they throw in the code.

Dreamweaver writes alot cleaner code, and overall is a way better program. Since you have no experience in coding, I highly recommend learning HTML -- it is one of the easist to learn!!

I also started the same way, I came from a design background and didn't know anything about coding.

Check out www.webmonkey.com !!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« designing for safari problem | Mac Designers Step Right In (Prize) »