New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Legality of using pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greyS60

greyS60 is on a distinguished road

I have a question about posting pictures on a web site. What kind of authorization do I need to get to put pictures of people on my web site. I have a swim team that I am building a web site for, do I need authorizationfrom the parents before I put pictures of their kids ont he site? Also, what about a team picture, do I need to get authorization from everyone in it?
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

by law, if you can recognize the persons face, you do need a model release form for the people in the pictures to use them.
QUOTE Thanks
greyS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiau
by law, if you can recognize the persons face, you do need a model release form for the people in the pictures to use them.
Thanks, I guess I'll start asking
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

i am sure there is some type of group contract you can do, since you are doing the site for the people, i am sure there are more efficient ways to go about it.

a search over on http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ may help with model release forms.

search on google, not sure if any help.
http://www.google.co.cr/search?hl=en...f+people&meta=
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I'll second Mathiau. The swim team will probably have their own policy regarding such media, so check with them. You should only need their permission (implicit in that they're asking you to make the site, but better to make sure).
QUOTE Thanks
greyS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam
I'll second Mathiau. The swim team will probably have their own policy regarding such media, so check with them. You should only need their permission (implicit in that they're asking you to make the site, but better to make sure).
They are asking me and I am one of the coaches on the swim team. We are a non--profit organization and we do have a board in place. I have approval from them, I assume that I still need to get release from the individual swimmers for theri individual pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

best way to set it up is os that next year when everyone signs their contracts ot pay and let their kids do this etc is for there to be a section saying that pictures of events etc may be used for the website and other publications. but for right now im pretty sure you will need each persons, or parents, permission in order to publish the pictures.

i know that there are a lot of people who simply do not ask these questions and just put these pictures up, this is a great question/topic to be covered.

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
greyS60

We are going to come up on monthly registration fees, I think I am going to throw something in there that lets them know that pictures might be used for our website.
QUOTE Thanks
Dominion

Dominion is on a distinguished road

The way I've seen it done was if this is part of a HS or some other K-12 system, the school will have a media release form the students have their parents sign at the beginning of the year stating that throughout the year the student may be subject to having their picture taken by various approved sources such as newspapers, the school year book, etc. And if a students picture appeared in a public resource, without that paper signed the parent was on legal grounds to sue if they so wished.

I've also seen when I was in HS Band doing football games flyers posted all over the place in plain site (the gates, concessions, at the front of the bleachers, etc) signs that said "During tonights game press will be here to take photos and will do a live broadcast during the event. By being here, you are agreeing to allow yourself to be photographed, filmed, or in the background of either format. If you do not wish to be apart of the filming or picture taking process, there are specific marked area where the camera crews are not allowed to shoot towards or around, they have been informed of such areas and you can expect your rights to be respected."

Paraphrased slightly but our local news agencies record highschool football games on friday nights for a specific segment on the late night news.

Could implement either of those policies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWeb06 - change photo page URL | Copyrighting websites »