New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

.Mac Needs a Hosting Makeover

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TMelcher

Does anyone else feel like .Mac could gain a huge benefit from additions like:

...true domain support (rather than setting up a redirection). Apple could open up its own domain registration service to make it easy to integrate with .Mac.

...PHP/MySQL support. .Mac uses Apache servers, so this wouldn't be that hard of an addition, and it would attract more professional Mac users to .Mac.

I have a .Mac account, but find myself not using the hosting that often, simply because I like to be able to write PHP scripts to make my content dynamic.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

yes, .mac is in need of a serious update, that or they should stop charging a 100 bucks for it! its not worth the money, and i still pay for it....sigh
QUOTE Thanks
TMelcher

Exactly! If Apple is all about being cutting-edge, you would think their hosting services wouldn't be as crappy as Angelfire, even with the exorbitant fee they charge for it!
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

hmmm lets see... I payed $10 for the whole year, 20gb space, 750gb of bandwidth, got 2 free domain names and get more features for hosting...

for $100 a year I get with .mac I get no domain support, 5 email accounts (provided you have the 'family' pack), easy uploading from iWeb onto my .mac account (iWeb can publish to any server though) 1GB combined space...

.mac is my opinion is a waste of money and a simple gimick to have a '@mac.com email address)
QUOTE Thanks
bishopazrael

bishopazrael can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber
hmmm lets see... I payed $10 for the whole year, 20gb space, 750gb of bandwidth, got 2 free domain names and get more features for hosting...

for $100 a year I get with .mac I get no domain support, 5 email accounts (provided you have the 'family' pack), easy uploading from iWeb onto my .mac account (iWeb can publish to any server though) 1GB combined space...

.mac is my opinion is a waste of money and a simple gimick to have a '@mac.com email address)

Where do you get this deal? I want to know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IE/ Flash/ Mac problem ... still. | Site Comments »