New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

mySQL and phpmyadmin help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajthornton

I have successfully setup phpmyadmin and mySQL of linux systems several times. I now have a macbook running mac os x 10.4.6. I am trying to get these two programs setup. I have the mysql running (i think) and i have setup the php config.include.inc script but i keep getting this error.
Code:
#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)
I do not think there is a root password so when i open http://localhost/phpMyAdmin i only get the error. i will post any needed information.
Thanks in advance,
ajthornton
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Did you use the OS X install from MySQL?
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Did you use the OS X install from MySQL?
I got the install from here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...tallation.html

And here is a snippet (the only part that I changed) of my config.inc.php file under the Library -> WebServer -> Documents -> phpMyAdmin.
Code:
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = 'http://localhost/phpMyAdmin/';

/**
 * Disable the default warning that is displayed on the DB Details Structure page if
 * any of the required Tables for the relationfeatures could not be found
 */
$cfg['PmaNoRelation_DisableWarning']  = FALSE;

/**
 * The 'cookie' auth_type uses blowfish algorithm to encrypt the password. If
 * at least one server configuration uses 'cookie' auth_type, enter here a
 * passphrase that will be used by blowfish. The maximum length seems to be 46
 * characters.
 */
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'marines';

/**
 * Server(s) configuration
 */
$i = 0;
// The $cfg['Servers'] array starts with $cfg['Servers'][1].  Do not use
// $cfg['Servers'][0]. You can disable a server config entry by setting host
// to ''. If you want more than one server, just copy following section
// (including $i incrementation) serveral times. There is no need to define
// full server array, just define values you need to change.
$i++;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host']          = 'localhost'; // MySQL hostname or IP address
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port']          = '';          // MySQL port - leave blank for default port
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket']        = '';          // Path to the socket - leave blank for default socket
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type']  = 'tcp';       // How to connect to MySQL server ('tcp' or 'socket')
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension']     = 'mysql';     // The php MySQL extension to use ('mysql' or 'mysqli')
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress']      = FALSE;       // Use compressed protocol for the MySQL connection
                                                    // (requires PHP >= 4.3.0)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser']   = 'root';      // MySQL control user settings
                                                    // (this user must have read-only
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass']   = '';   // access to the "mysql/user"
                                                    // and "mysql/db" tables).
                                                    // The controluser is also
                                                    // used for all relational
                                                    // features (pmadb)
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'cookie';    // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']          = 'root';      // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']      = '';   // MySQL password (only needed
                                                    // with 'config' auth_type)
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

Let me try this again. I may have done something wrong. I installed the Mac OS X 10.4 (x86) version of mysql. I have installed and configured the phpmyadmin as stated earlier. I also installed the mySQL Administrator. When I open the mySQL Admin this is some of the data that I find:

MySQL Version: MySQL 5.0.22-standard via socket
Network Name: localhost
IP: 127.0.0.1

The service screen states that the server is running.
There is an /etc/my.cnf file
Two accounts are setup.
username - password
root - marines
ajthornton - marines

this is the full contents of the error log
Code:
060609 05:52:09  mysqld started
060609  5:52:09 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /usr/local/mysql/data/ is case insensitive
InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
060609  5:52:09  InnoDB: Setting file ./ibdata1 size to 10 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
060609  5:52:09  InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
060609  5:52:09  InnoDB: Log file ./ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file ./ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
060609  5:52:10  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 0
060609  5:52:10 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.22-standard'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306  MySQL Community Edition - Standard (GPL)
060609  5:54:11 [Warning] Got signal 1 from thread 1
060609 11:41:44  mysqld started
060609 11:41:45 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /usr/local/mysql/data/ is case insensitive
060609 11:41:45  InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally!
InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.
InnoDB: Reading tablespace information from the .ibd files...
InnoDB: Restoring possible half-written data pages from the doublewrite
InnoDB: buffer...
060609 11:41:45  InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43655.
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43655
060609 11:41:45  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
060609 11:41:45 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.22-standard'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306  MySQL Community Edition - Standard (GPL)
060609 13:10:44 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Normal shutdown

060609 13:10:45  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
060609 13:10:48  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 43655
060609 13:10:48 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

060609 13:10:48  mysqld ended

060609 19:18:00  mysqld started
060609 19:18:00 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /usr/local/mysql/data/ is case insensitive
060609 19:18:01  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
060609 19:18:01 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
060609 19:18:57 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Normal shutdown

060609 19:18:57  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
060609 19:18:59  InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 43655
060609 19:18:59 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

060609 19:18:59  mysqld ended

060609 19:19:42  mysqld started
060609 19:19:45 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /usr/local/mysql/data/ is case insensitive
060609 19:19:45  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
060609 19:19:46 [Note] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections.
In the catalogs tab I can see the 3 tables (information_s, mysql, and test).

Now when I load via web browser http://localhost/phpMyAdmin I get the following message:
Code:
#2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured)
If you know a way to fix this, please let me know, or if more information is needed. I am willing to emial my AOL chat screen name for instant chatting if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
ajthornton
QUOTE Thanks
komo

why don't you just use MAMP, instead. i found out it's as easy as Windows' AppServ
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by komo
why don't you just use MAMP, instead. i found out it's as easy as Windows' AppServ
komo, you are a life saver. I had no trouble getting things up and running. I just have one quick question. Is there a way to access the mySQL information from the terminal? If yes, how?

THANKS A MILLION, komo
ajthornton
QUOTE Thanks
komo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajthornton
komo, you are a life saver. I had no trouble getting things up and running. I just have one quick question. Is there a way to access the mySQL information from the terminal? If yes, how?

THANKS A MILLION, komo
ajthornton
what kind of "mySQL information" do you want to access to?
you can always access mysql from the terminal using "mysql" command line. just start the mysql service, go to /Application/MAMP/Library/bin, and typed "./mysql" without the quote.
that will bring up the mySQL prompt and (I think) you can work with your mySQL from there. i really never used that prompt anyway, phpmyadmin is a lot easier
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

i have figured out what you said, but I am still having some problems. When I start MAMP I see that both the apache and mysql servers are started. I can click on the phpinfo link and see the phpinfo load properly. However, when I build a php document in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs and try to access it the page comes up blank. This happens with the basic
PHP Code:
<?php 
phpinfo
(); 
?>
page up to a complex script. Anyidea what is going on?

Quote:
what kind of "mySQL information" do you want to access to?
you can always access mysql from the terminal using "mysql" command line. just start the mysql service, go to /Application/MAMP/Library/bin, and typed "./mysql" without the quote.
that will bring up the mySQL prompt and (I think) you can work with your mySQL from there. i really never used that prompt anyway, phpmyadmin is a lot easier
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Sorry I would have responded sooner, but for some reason I was not getting notifications that there was a reply on this thread Good it sounds like you have it up and running.. hmm..

When you look at the blank page, view source, do you see the code? or is it blank also? If you do see the code then php is not parsing the page.. if you do not see the code.. then you might have a wrong path somewhere...
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

I do see code. I am using this MAMP. It tells me to put everything in this htdocs folder, but it does allow me to change this folder location. Does anyone know how this will work. Also, what is meant by parsing the pae. is this something that I am doing wrong. This is exactly what I see when I view the code:

PHP Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
        <title>Using echo()</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <?php
        phpinfo
();

?>
    </body>

</html>
Quote:
Sorry I would have responded sooner, but for some reason I was not getting notifications that there was a reply on this thread Good it sounds like you have it up and running.. hmm..

When you look at the blank page, view source, do you see the code? or is it blank also? If you do see the code then php is not parsing the page.. if you do not see the code.. then you might have a wrong path somewhere...
QUOTE Thanks
komo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajthornton
I do see code. I am using this MAMP. It tells me to put everything in this htdocs folder, but it does allow me to change this folder location. Does anyone know how this will work. Also, what is meant by parsing the pae. is this something that I am doing wrong. This is exactly what I see when I view the code:

PHP Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <?php
        phpinfo
();

?>
    </body>

</html>
CMIIW, but i think those codes can't be the one that showed up when you click "View Source" option on your browser. try to make a simple scripts using an echo or more, then post the source on your browser here
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Did you name your file something.php? or something.htm(l)? If you you named it .php then php is not parsing that page which means you need to check your apache config file. now if you named it .htm or .html then rename it to .php and it should start parsing the page IF php is enabled.
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

what is CMIIW? here is another simple code that I have tried.

PHP Code:
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <?php

echo 'This is my first php script!';

?>
    </body>

</html>
Quote:
CMIIW, but i think those codes can't be the one that showed up when you click "View Source" option on your browser. try to make a simple scripts using an echo or more, then post the source on your browser here
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Again what did you name your file? PHP is definitely not parsing your code... And that's when you view source in the browser correct?
QUOTE Thanks
ajthornton

the name of the file is first.php, and yes that is what I see when view code. Here is anothe one that I tried real quick this file is names phpinfo.php
PHP Code:
<?php
phpinfo
();
?>
That is the code that I see, ehich is exacty what I typed.

Quote:
Again what did you name your file? PHP is definitely not parsing your code... And that's when you view source in the browser correct?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Websites | Good Free Host? »