New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Doing web design course - mac v windows problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msid

Location: Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-)
msid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.

Mods, feel free to move to the correct area if Im wrong here.....thanks :-)

My problem is I can enter .html code on a windows computer that i borrowed to test out my theory. I get my First Web Page banner the way is should look online in 5 mins. Yeah!!!

But......when I work on my MacBook Pro, no matter what I try (and Ive spent hours on something thats supposed to take 5 mins) it just wont look right when I go to view online

Im suspecting/hoping it has something to do with my Mac settings at this stage because it works on Windows for me. On my Mac I use Text Editor, save as a .html file and when I open it up as a browser page using Safari, all I see is the code entered not the Banner in its color. (when I say hoping, this mac is a refurb and I have visions of prolems arising).

Ive also tried saving the file as a .rtf file (for Text Editor), (saved as rich text I think it says - so not as a .html file). I then rename the file extension from .rtf to .html to enable me to open it in browser and heloooooo I see my banner........But also a lot of black text which isn't supposed to be there

Does anyone know what might be going wrong on the mac (settings perhaps), as I can do this fine on windows but not on the mac :-(

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give :-)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

So the same, self contained html file displays ok on a windows machine but not on the Mac.

1. This is the exact same file?
2. Does reference any graphics in other folders etc?
3. Which browsers have you tried on both platforms?
4. Are you using validated html? Or are you using specific, browser dependant, features?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msid View Post
On my Mac I use Text Editor, save as a .html file and when I open it up as a browser page using Safari, all I see is the code entered not the Banner in its color. (when I say hoping, this mac is a refurb and I have visions of prolems arising).

Ive also tried saving the file as a .rtf file (for Text Editor), (saved as rich text I think it says - so not as a .html file). I then rename the file extension from .rtf to .html to enable me to open it in browser and heloooooo I see my banner........But also a lot of black text which isn't supposed to be there
I think this is your problem. It sounds like you're not saving the HTML as plain text, which would cause problems. So, when you say "Text Editor", do you mean TextEdit? If so, it is, by default, a rich text editor. Although it can do plain text, you might be better to use an editor designed for coding such as TextMate.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
msid

Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I think this is your problem. It sounds like you're not saving the HTML as plain text, which would cause problems. So, when you say "Text Editor", do you mean TextEdit? If so, it is, by default, a rich text editor. Although it can do plain text, you might be better to use an editor designed for coding such as TextMate.

Solved!! It was indeed the switch from Rich Text to Plain Text and hey Presto!! It worked

Thanks a Million :-) And also for the link, I'll check it out, Im only beginning a Web Design course and see mentions of Dreamweaver etc so I'll stick to whats used in the course first maybe.....
QUOTE Thanks
msid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
So the same, self contained html file displays ok on a windows machine but not on the Mac.

1. This is the exact same file?
2. Does reference any graphics in other folders etc?
3. Which browsers have you tried on both platforms?
4. Are you using validated html? Or are you using specific, browser dependant, features?

1. Yes
2. No (Thats my next step in the course)
3. IE on Windows and Safari on Mac
4. Havn't a clue what that means but as I get deeper into my course Im hoping I will

Problem solved see post above by myself (Rich Text Versus Plain Text issue)

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Dreamweaver is considered the Cadillac of HTML/WYSIWYG editors from Adobe. There are other cheaper/free alternatives as well, but as you get serious into Web Design, having these kinds of software makes the process go faster, but initially it's nice to have a plain text editor to KNOW what you are coding in HTML/PHP/CSS/JavaScript or what other languages you are using..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
msid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Dreamweaver is considered the Cadillac of HTML/WYSIWYG editors from Adobe. There are other cheaper/free alternatives as well, but as you get serious into Web Design, having these kinds of software makes the process go faster, but initially it's nice to have a plain text editor to KNOW what you are coding in HTML/PHP/CSS/JavaScript or what other languages you are using..
Thanks a mil! Good to know
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

textMate is pretty good, I've used that quite a bit some time ago.

But Coda (panic software) truly rocks as a code editor. I've pretty much ditched dreamweaver and use code exclusively now full time.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ive found a Editor that i really like called Textastic that is a really good Code Editor and has been getting some good reviews especially now there is a Mac version The Dev has Made a App for Mac and iPad and iPhone with iCloud syncing and in future update links to GitHub through their API we hope . .

Quote:
Textastic is a text, code and markup editor for iPad and iPhone with rich support for syntax highlighting, FTP, SFTP and Dropbox. It will continue to be actively developed to provide you with the features you need to get your work done.

I have sat on my iPad writing .h and .m files Objective-C and it really is nice and I'm only a Beginner Dev

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« converting from a Windows website to OS X | Attempting to set up Filezilla »