New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

I'm creating a website with Wordpress. What is the cheapest hosting option?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

I'm creating a website for my filmmaking with Wordpress. I'm making it very simple and I'm not hosting any videos since everything will be linked from Youtube or Vimeo. I want a cheap option for hosting. The options Wordpress offers are all over 50 dollars a year. I'm thinking there must be something cheaper, such as GoDaddy, and if I want to eventually make a more comprehensive website, I can change hosts.

Any thoughts on this? What is a good cheap host for Wordpress?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You should probably try one of our sister forums:

Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet

or

http://www.cheaphostingdirectory.com

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The general wisdom with cheap hosting is that most that run around $2-5 per month are on crowded shared servers that have varying performance based on what other sites are running on that machine. Going with a slightly expensive package usually ensures a better overall performance and you get the best performance with virtual or dedicated hosting..

Over the years I've tried many many hosts and have been moving around a lot of them and what I've found generally follows what I've stated above..I've been with hosts such as Dreamhost, JustHost, Bluehost, 1and1, Hostgator, and couple more for such short periods that I can't even remember the names..

I found Mediatemple's GS hosting to be generally acceptable, and right now I use their DV hosting for all the various sites that I have for myself and clients..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxband View Post
I'm creating a website for my filmmaking with Wordpress. I'm making it very simple and I'm not hosting any videos since everything will be linked from Youtube or Vimeo. I want a cheap option for hosting. The options Wordpress offers are all over 50 dollars a year. I'm thinking there must be something cheaper, such as GoDaddy, and if I want to eventually make a more comprehensive website, I can change hosts.

Any thoughts on this? What is a good cheap host for Wordpress?
I use these MacAce.net | The Mac ISP for Mac hosting, email, ADSL, Fibre Broadband, FTP, iWeb Hosting. Mac Friendly UK Apple web host. for hosting (You can select your country on the home page top right if you are following the link), they are not cheap but their hosting and customer service is 'bang on'. I also use RapidWeaver5 for site building and have found it excellent so far for the money.

Just as an aside, does your ISP not provide you with some free webspace to play with?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Just as an aside, does your ISP not provide you with some free webspace to play with?
If they do, they probably don't offer the PHP and SQL support needed by Wordpress.

oxband, if you don't already own a domain, you'll have to work that into the cost. This may be what's throwing off the cost. While some hosts throw in a free domain, not all do.

If you try to get a domain with a popular TLD (like .com) or a fairly popular ccTLD (the country specific ones), you'll see higher costs. I've found that the .net TLD is generally pretty cheap.

Note on the ccTLDs: apparently some has presence requirements (such as .ca) while others do not (such as .uk).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
(mt) Drew

(mt) Drew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I found Mediatemple's GS hosting to be generally acceptable, and right now I use their DV hosting for all the various sites that I have for myself and clients..
Hey there! Thanks for the mention of (mt) Media Temple

@oxband - After reading your post and understanding what you are looking for, I think (mt) Media Temple is a great fit for you. I personally work for (mt) Media Temple and might be a little biased. However, we work with WordPress daily, in fact, we offer a one click WordPress installation that will have you set up with WordPress in a matter of minutes. More on that here:

How do I install WordPress using the 1-Click Applications tool?

The (gs) Grid-Service is what I would recommend you start out on. Later on, if you need more resources, it is very easy to scale up to a (dv) Dedicated-Virtual Server, which will provide you with the dedicated resources to handle the larger site.

Additionally, if you have any questions about our services here at (mt) Media Temple, please don't hesitate to give us a call, open a support chat, or Tweet at us. We're here 24/7

Drew J
(mt) Media Temple
@MediaTemple
QUOTE Thanks
familychoice

familychoice is on a distinguished road

I use a variety of resellers and dedicated servers for my clients websites, but for some of my own personal less critical projects and experiments I use 1&1.

Cheap, relatively cheerful and after 10 years as a customer they've proved to be surprisingly more reliable than other much more expensive options. Downside - slow servers.
QUOTE Thanks
Barb_WHUK

Barb_WHUK is on a distinguished road

You'd find hosts offering WordPress compatible hosting offered by a large crowd of hosts at more-or-less the same resources and costs. There are other factors too that needs to be addressed like emails, if you'd be enabling videos to be downloaded from the website etc. Every feature your choose would help you narrow your search for the right hosting provider.

Well, if it's just WordPress site that you are looking forward to host, then any provider that offers Linux based hosting services can be suitable to you and depending on the kind of uptime you expect, you can look for a host that houses its servers in a Tier 3 or 4 datacenter.

- Barb from WHUK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ways to improve my website | animated banner »