New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Hyperlink color

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wkonigsmark

wkonigsmark is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am trying to figure out why my links keep changing colors even though I am trying to properly format them in the css style in the <head>. See attached screen shot and link to page.

here is how the code looks:

<style type="text/css">
a:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* unvisited link */
a:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* visited link */
a:link {color: white;} /* mouse over link */
a:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* selected link */
p {color: white; }
p {font-family: "Georgia", Times, serif; }
body {background-color: black; }

this is indeed making the color of the unvisited link the proper color, but once I visit a link it goes to a dark blue and I can't figure out how to change that to where it is stable. Also, the mouseover doesn't change it to white.

Also, I can't figure out what is making the weird A A with the accent after the "length" of the songs... Thanks in advance for any help!

Music

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

The problem here is simple - you're setting the colour of links four different times. Here's the excerpt:
Code:
a:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* unvisited link */
a:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* visited link */
a:link {color: white;} /* mouse over link */
a:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* selected link */
As you can see, you're using the same property over and over. Thus, you're only styling the colour of the link but not the visited, active or hover values. These are the properties you want:
Code:
A:link
A:visited
A:active
A:hover

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
wkonigsmark

Thanks for the prompt response! I will try that out and see if I can solve this problem.

Any idea what causes that weird looking "A" after the Length description? That screenshot is actually an iframe reading from this page:
Playlist

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Nothing's "causing" per se other than the fact that those characters exist in the source of the page. Remove them and all will be well.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
wkonigsmark

I changed the css script as follows and I am still having the same issue:

Music

A:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* unvisited link */
A:visited {color: #CCFFCC;} /* visited link */
A:hover {color: white;} /* mouse over link */
A:active {color: #CCFFCC;} /* selected link */

Sorry, I am still new to a lot of this stuff so I tend to need a lot of explanation. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Here ya go: CSS Styling Links

The "Try it Yourself" is great for you play with and understand how it's working..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Mike Sprawson

Mike Sprawson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27 inch, iMac, Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkonigsmark View Post
I changed the css script as follows and I am still having the same issue:

Music

A:link {color: #CCFFCC;} /* unvisited link */
A:visited {color: #CCFFCC;} /* visited link */
A:hover {color: white;} /* mouse over link */
A:active {color: #CCFFCC;} /* selected link */

Sorry, I am still new to a lot of this stuff so I tend to need a lot of explanation. Thanks!
As an example of one of my external css files links, try this below;

/* Links formatting */
a:link, a:visited, a:active {
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
color: #1e90ff; /* DodgerBlue */
font-size: 17px;
font-weight: 500;
text-decoration: underline;
}
a:hover {
font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
color: #ff0000; /* Red */
font-size: 17px;
font-weight: 500;
text-decoration: none;
}

Remember, it’s as Raz0rEdge says, “Try it yourself,” it can be a lot of phunn,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thoughts on vBulletin? | centre a sliced image from photoshop into dreamweaver cs4 »