New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Rapidweaver questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Hello there,

I'm considering ditching iWeb for Rapidweaver 5 on the back of various recommendations from folks on here.

The main reason being that I've been asked to publish a site for someone and iWeb only has facility for one domain. I know there is a workaround, but to be honest I could do with a clean break and start afresh.

I've just come across a method called Content Management System and would be grateful for any opinion as to how this type of software stacks up against something like Rapidweaver5...are they chalk and cheese or does Rwvr5 have this facility?

Thanks,
Liam

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

By way of a bump anyone I bought Rapidweaver 5 anyway and am working my way through designing a site with it.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I tried Rapidweaver a little while back for a little bit and it was cool enough but I code websites by hand so I never spent the time to get good at it..

Interestingly, I had this (https://www.mupromo.com/deal/13204/1...cupdate-bundle) show up in my e-mail recently and it might interest you?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I tried Rapidweaver a little while back for a little bit and it was cool enough but I code websites by hand so I never spent the time to get good at it..

Interestingly, I had this (https://www.mupromo.com/deal/13204/1...cupdate-bundle) show up in my e-mail recently and it might interest you?
Thank you Raz0rEdge, I must admit I'm impressed, particularly with the 'Resources' function where you can drag pdf's or other such info into the sidebar and easily link them to anywhere on the site and to more than one location as well. Apparently they load up to a root directory of the website when you publish it.

Early days yet, I'll bear that bundle in mind thank you.

QUOTE Thanks
ermadd

ermadd is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert but here's what I found by recent discovery...

CMS vs Home Brewed Solution
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CMS (Content Management System) can be really great. If it doesn't matter what type of server you'll run on you really should try DotNetNuke (DNN) for ASP.NET. I've tried Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, DNN, and a few others and found DNN to be the best solution for a lot of systems. Once installed its provided the most intuitive interface and can keep you pretty far away from the code until you want to make something one off.

Once I started getting my hands dirty with code I've preferred PHP over ASP or ASP.NET so I tried the PHP CMS solutions. I didn't really feel they were as balanced and quickly decided to build my own PHP web solution, I guess they weren't built how I was expecting...

I'd like to think building my own PHP website by raw code will provide the lightest most efficient solution. Server processing is money lost so I'm proud to build a solution that provides only what I need.

Best HTML/PHP Service to build a site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have even less experience with this then the stuff I said about CMS systems but heres what I found so far....

I have a fairly decent knowledge of HTML/JS/CSS/PHP so I didn't really look for Software that provides templates. I wish I could find an Apple solution that works like XCode or Visual Studio Express. Right now I'm using Expresso. It has a very clean interface for me to build my site and a very easy way to transfer that data to an FTP site for instant synchronization. I got scared away by people saying Coda 2 doesn't play well with Retina display.

I like Expresso, I wish it had more features like mySQL database management.

I hope I didn't say anything completely off base I'm also interested on what people have to say about designing with a mac.

Macbook Pro Retina | Mid-2012 OS X 10.8.1 | 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB DDR3 512 SSD HD
Sony Vaio | Win8 Release Preview | 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB DDR3 750GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

ermadd, thank you for your very comprehensive thoughts. I need to spend a little time getting the gist of what you say so bear with me please.

QUOTE Thanks
ermadd

ermadd is on a distinguished road

hahaha I guess I felt like typing yesterday.

What are your goals for your next site? Blogging? Managing data? Business card?

Macbook Pro Retina | Mid-2012 OS X 10.8.1 | 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB DDR3 512 SSD HD
Sony Vaio | Win8 Release Preview | 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8GB DDR3 750GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermadd View Post
hahaha I guess I felt like typing yesterday.

What are your goals for your next site? Blogging? Managing data? Business card?
Sorry for the late response as my feet haven't touched the ground recently.

I'm too engrossed with Rapidweaver 5 at the moment. I thought Wordpress was too bloggy and too be honest my client is not tech savvy so the CMS solution just didn't seem right for him.

The Template solution suits my client and his budget for the moment so all it is a classic business page per discipline site with photos, text and, and various links to pdf's in the Resources folder, with a Contact Form at the end. I can manage it for him because I know him well.

What I will have fun with (not) is the HTML Metatag header which I believe is now uber important and a lot more sensitive than when I first built a site years ago.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

I'm very impressed with it, in fact I just published the website Home this morning and it did the job excellently and all for 62 and my time.

This effort was from a standing start so from that point of view it's been great, a basic website was what they wanted. I was quickly helping some mates out with this one but once I get to grips with RW5 things will be swell.

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The site looks quite nice, but I did notice an odd quirk with Chrome at least, that all of the button have a hover effect, but the 2 buttons on the second bar (Brochures and Technical & Contact Us) end up having the blue part on the top part of the button when I hover over them..

See attached screenshot for what I mean..
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-08-31 at 10.06.41 AM.png (24.9 KB, 27 views)

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
The site looks quite nice, but I did notice an odd quirk with Chrome at least, that all of the button have a hover effect, but the 2 buttons on the second bar (Brochures and Technical & Contact Us) end up having the blue part on the top part of the button when I hover over them..

See attached screenshot for what I mean..
Yes Raz0rEdge thanks for having a look.

I've lived with the quirk because I wasn't sure if it was there by design. I think what happens is that if I added another page some more of the blue bar to the right will disappear and that those page titles on that line at least would be highlighted in the original blue when hovered over.It's odd that the titles are centred though.

RW5 is pretty good with regards to if you are in actual view rather than edit you can click on a different template style and it will automatically change design for you to peruse. Not all templates however suit your words and layout.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleted webpages | Constructive criticism! »