New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

opening index.html to edit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Immortalunivers

Immortalunivers is on a distinguished road

G'day everyone, can you inform me about how to open my index.html? I can not open it with text edit, because I get the message "locked".
Thank you for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Right click the file > Get Info > uncheck the Locked box. That should do it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Immortalunivers

Thank you van smith for answering my question. I work on an iMac, Mac OS X Version 10.7.4 Using iWeb for my website does not allow me to open the index.html. When I followed your suggestion I got the info.html file, but ... having unchecked the Locked box I am still able to edit the index file. In the mean time I read on the internet several articles which say that it will be not possible to edit the index.html from iWeb. There should be a way, but that is a very difficult one, especially for "not so experienced users" as I am!
I still hope you can provide (and I think a lot of other iWeb users as well :-) ) with a solution.
with Light Gert de Wilde
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalunivers View Post
When I followed your suggestion I got the info.html file
Wrong file.

You need to right click the index.html file > Get Info > uncheck the Locked checkbox.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Immortalunivers

My apologies to you vansmith and all Mac fans! My response was incorrect!
I mentioned info.html, it should have been index.html and a little bit further on I wrote "... having unchecked the Locked box I am still able to edit the index file." It should have been "... having unchecked the Locked box I am still NOT able to edit the index file."
My problem is still alive! Clicking on the index.html continuing with Open With TextEdit.app gives a blank screen with on top the message "index.html -- Locked"
You were right to correct me van smith :-) but unfortunately my problem still exist.
with Light Gert de Wilde
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

With TextEdit open, simply click Locked in the titlebar and select the Unlock option.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacHighway_Ryan

MacHighway_Ryan is on a distinguished road

You might also want to try TextWrangler to open the file. It's a lot more flexible and has some HTML support built in.
Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

Ryan C.
MacHighway Technical Support Manager
www.machighway.com
Web hosting for Mac users by Mac users, since 1997.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Web Design help! | iWeb publishing to Host Domain »