beginning a website
    I am a new mac user and I want to build a website that will need to access a database. Can anyone tell me where the best place to begin is...what program exactly and how to start. I am familiar with how to do this with Windows but I'm not sure with my mac. Thanks!!

Whangarei, New Zealand
    You're going to have to give us a bit more information. What sort of database? Are you going to do it in HTML or do you need a WYSIWYG editor?
    I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.

Also how exactly you are used to doing this on Windows would be a help, such as is it with ASP and Access?

Of course I'll still say at this point - PHP and MySQL.

I am used to just using HTML on windows and php and i am fairly familiar with mysql. I'd like to do something similar to that with mac. I am going to just need a database like mysql or access to use with the webpage. i'm not even sure what program to use on my maybe webobjects but i can't find any good information about what that even does. let m e know if u need any other informatio

14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
    hey melissa,

here is what you need:

and well, the advice will follow from there. just install apache, php and mysql

Where is the webserver you are using ? Do you have a hosting account somewhere? a dedicated server ? or are you hosting the website on your machine ? Installing PHP, Apache, etc, on your machine won't do alot of good if the DB needs to be installed elsewhere.

I would say the same as JackTheRipper - but also steveedge has a point. If you are doing this on a specific server (that you are not the administrator of) then you should check and make sure everything will be compatible.

I would sway WAY against access - it just sucks overall for the web with simultaneous users. MySQL, PostgreSQL, or some other database would be a better choice that way.

What all are you looking to do?

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
    hey melissa,

here is what you need:

and well, the advice will follow from there. just install apache, php and mysql
    I know OSX comes with Apache Server pre-installed, but for some reason I though it had PHP and MySQL pre-installed as well....

simplest way buddy.. find a host that supports mysql + php ( and hire a coder for peanuts at

explain what you want, and it will be done exactly as you ask.. if you run into problems writing your first database that is

if the database isnt too large, think of a flat text database.. it's a lot eaiser to setup and configure

best of luck

Thread Information