New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

beginning a website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melissa555

I am a new mac user and I want to build a website that will need to access a database. Can anyone tell me where the best place to begin is...what program exactly and how to start. I am familiar with how to do this with Windows but I'm not sure with my mac. Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

You're going to have to give us a bit more information. What sort of database? Are you going to do it in HTML or do you need a WYSIWYG editor?

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Also how exactly you are used to doing this on Windows would be a help, such as is it with ASP and Access?

Of course I'll still say at this point - PHP and MySQL.

:flower:

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
melissa555

Thanks,
I am used to just using HTML on windows and php and i am fairly familiar with mysql. I'd like to do something similar to that with mac. I am going to just need a database like mysql or access to use with the webpage. i'm not even sure what program to use on my mac...like maybe webobjects but i can't find any good information about what that even does. let m e know if u need any other informatio
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

hey melissa,

here is what you need:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html

and well, the advice will follow from there. just install apache, php and mysql
QUOTE Thanks
steveedge

Where is the webserver you are using ? Do you have a hosting account somewhere? a dedicated server ? or are you hosting the website on your machine ? Installing PHP, Apache, etc, on your machine won't do alot of good if the DB needs to be installed elsewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
nateklaiber

I would say the same as JackTheRipper - but also steveedge has a point. If you are doing this on a specific server (that you are not the administrator of) then you should check and make sure everything will be compatible.

I would sway WAY against access - it just sucks overall for the web with simultaneous users. MySQL, PostgreSQL, or some other database would be a better choice that way.

What all are you looking to do?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
hey melissa,

here is what you need:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/welcome.html

and well, the advice will follow from there. just install apache, php and mysql
I know OSX comes with Apache Server pre-installed, but for some reason I though it had PHP and MySQL pre-installed as well....

QUOTE Thanks
gavinmacrae1

simplest way buddy.. find a host that supports mysql + php (www.blacksun.ca) and hire a coder for peanuts at www.rentacoder.com.

explain what you want, and it will be done exactly as you ask.. if you run into problems writing your first database that is

if the database isnt too large, think of a flat text database.. it's a lot eaiser to setup and configure

best of luck
gavin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Professional web designers? | Does Studio 8 Work With Intel x86 »