New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

iWeb and publishing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hache

Hache is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm completely new to this so bear with me. I want to build a simple website just for sharing thoughts, photos etc with family and friends. I have no coding knowledge at all so need to be able to put pages together in the simplest possible way. I started to play around with iWeb and liked it but now that MobileMe has disappeared (I was not a member before it went) it seems that some features (such as blog search and photo comments) won't work. So what is a rank amateur supposed to do?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It's a shame but Apple has pretty much abandoned iWeb. You can still build sites with it, save them and then manually upload them to the host of your choice, but that's not nearly as easy as it used to be with MobileMe.

It sounds like you just want to a setup a basic blog. Fortunately, that can be done relatively easily with WordPress. And if you want to stick to iWeb for the actual creation, check out this article:

How To: Import your iWeb Blog to Wordpress | Maciverse

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Hache

Hache is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that. I had a look at the article but it seems pretty complex to a complete beginner. Maybe I need a re-think.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

I created my website on iWeb and host it on a service other than MobileMe. For ease of use, you can't beat iWeb; it's a shame Apple seems to be in the process of discontinuing it. I'd still recommend it if you're new to web development or value ease of use.

For publishing, I save it as a folder. I then upload it to the host using FireFTP, which is a plugin for Firefox. It's pretty simple to use and eliminates quirky uploading software or controls many hosts will give you.

I'd imagine Apple will come up with some sort of cloud-based alternative to iWeb sometime this year if they do decide to cease development of the iLife component for good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cloud hosting, is it any different to normal hosting ? | Designing Flash Game »