New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Whats wrong with my HTML?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evangelist6589

evangelist6589 has a spectacular aura about

On this page

Limited Atonement

My table displays great in FireFox, but for some reason does not display at all in Safari. Its not a big deal, but a minor issue I would love to have resolved. Please note that I wrote this document 3 years ago and was then using the outdated and obsolete Claris Home Page. These days I no longer use that app (cant anyway with my Intel Mac with no classic support) and use more modern HTML apps like Sea Money & Text Wrangler.

Thanks..

John
QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

CSS should be used for the presentation instead of tables. Using tables is the old, outdated way of page layout.
QUOTE Thanks
iNicole

iNicole is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM v10.7.2

I'm using Chrome and it shows up fine for me (I think)

Is that how it's supposed to look?
It's not centered or anything, just sitting at the left.

 13" Macbook Pro (Late 2009, OS X Lion)
 32 GB iPod Touch (3rd gen)
 8 GB iPod Nano (blue, 3rd gen)
QUOTE Thanks
evangelist6589

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandJLK View Post
CSS should be used for the presentation instead of tables. Using tables is the old, outdated way of page layout.
How can I do that? I am using Sea Monkey.
QUOTE Thanks
evangelist6589

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNicole View Post
I'm using Chrome and it shows up fine for me (I think)

Is that how it's supposed to look?
It's not centered or anything, just sitting at the left.
Do these show up in tables on your browser?

THE 5 POINTS OF
CALVINISM
THE 5 POINTS OF ARMINIANISM
TOTAL DEPRAVITY
Sin controls every part of man. He is spiritually dead and blind, and unable to obey, believe or repent. He continually sins, for his nature is completely evil.
FREE WILL
Sin does not control manís will. He is sick and near-sighted, but still able to obey, believe and repent. He does not continually sin, for his nature is not completely evil.
UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION
God chose the elect solely on the basis of His free grace, not anything in them. He has a special love for the elect. God left the rest to be ****ed for their sins.
CONDITIONAL ELECTION
God chose the elect on the basis of their foreseen faith. He loves all men equally. God passed over no one, but gives everyone an equal chance to be saved.
LIMITED ATONEMENT
Christ died especially for the elect, and paid a definite price for them that guaranteed their salvation.
UNIVERSAL ATONEMENT
Christ died equally for all men, and paid a provisional price that made salvation possible for all but guaranteed it for none.
IRRESISTABLE GRACE
Saving grace is irresistible, for the Holy Spirit is invincible and intervenes in Manís heart. He sovereignly gives the new birth, faith and repentance to the elect.
RESISTABLE GRACE
Saving grace is resistible for God cannot interfere with Manís free will. Man is born again after he believes, for faith and repentance are not gifts of God.
PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS
God preserves all the elect and causes them to persevere in faith and obedience to the end. None are continually back-slidden or finally lost.
FALLING FROM GRACE
Only a few Christians continue in faith and obedience to the end (Arminians are divided over whether one can actually lose his salvation).
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Chrome and Firefox use the same engine.

Here's how it renders on my 10.7.2 system with 5.1.2 safari
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-07 at 4.18.40 PM.png (114.7 KB, 23 views)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
evangelist6589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post

Here's how it renders on my 10.7.2 system with 5.1.2 safari
Yes this is exactly the problem. In FireFox I see the tables, but not so in Safari. I am trying to find an easy way to fix it. If this will take hours then I am not interested. I am not exactly a HTML programmer as I use Sea Monkey 95% of the time. Sometimes I use text Wrangler but only to edit and do very very very basic HTML. 95% of the people that visit the page are interested in the CONTENT and not the technical side of things. I personally do not care how many errors that engine will find with my site. All I care about is if the pages display good in the major web browsers. Are there any sites that can fix the errors for me and then give me the source?

Focusing too much on the "technical side" takes me away from the "theological and doctrine " side. But by all means if you know of a engine that can fix the errors and give me the source this would be best. Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I get the same as Dysfunction and I am using the same OS and Safari can you post a screen shot of what you get.
I just tried this on my HP PC using IE9 and the only difference is it puts the 5 points in a marked off column if this is what you are talking about.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Did you mean Chrome and Safari?

The border shows up in UX (a Firefox build) and Opera but doesn't show up in Chrome and Safari. It would appear then that the code used to style the borders doesn't work in WebKit. Let me investigate.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
evangelist6589

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I get the same as Dysfunction and I am using the same OS and Safari can you post a screen shot of what you get.
How can I upload a photo to this site? Thnaks..
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

In the toolbar above the textbox where you enter your response is a picture of a paper clip. Use that to upload files including pictures.

I think I found your issue. Each of the <td> has the border set at .5pt which WebKit (Chrome and Safari) don't seem to like. Once you change it to 1pt, all is well. Here's a picture of what I mean:

border_fix.jpg

Making the change doesn't screw anything up in Opera either:

opera_border.jpg

Looks fine with the change in Firefox as well:

firefox_border.jpg

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Good call I would rep you but I apparently need to spread some around first.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It's all good. I love fooling around with stuff like this. The learning is worth it alone.

It would also seem that the border is set to 0 for the table as a whole for some reason. If the above changes don't fix this completely, change that value to 1.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Did you mean Chrome and Safari?

The border shows up in UX (a Firefox build) and Opera but doesn't show up in Chrome and Safari. It would appear then that the code used to style the borders doesn't work in WebKit. Let me investigate.
I might. I avoid web dev like the plague.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
evangelist6589

Got it fixed! Thank you sir! I very much appreciate it! In a ideal world I would resolve all this by moving to Word Press, but the process and time it would take to move everything over far exceeds what I can do, so the site remains in HTML. The only issue I have is it seems that the very bottom of the border disappears and reappears at random. I do not know why it does this. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
In the toolbar above the textbox where you enter your response is a picture of a paper clip. Use that to upload files including pictures.

I think I found your issue. Each of the <td> has the border set at .5pt which WebKit (Chrome and Safari) don't seem to like. Once you change it to 1pt, all is well. Here's a picture of what I mean:

Attachment 16397

Making the change doesn't screw anything up in Opera either:

Attachment 16398

Looks fine with the change in Firefox as well:

Attachment 16399
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Putting You Tube Video over JPEG Graphic | Social Media Buttons on I Web ?s »