New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

New Website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbilbrey

jbilbrey is on a distinguished road

I am trying to build a website for my wife to sell her toffee on. I have built one before with iWeb. I just bought a new iMac and I do not have the iLife suite. I have iPhoto, iDVD, and Garage Band. I would not mind building another one on iweb, it was very easy to do. However, I do not want to buy the iLife suite if I have most of the programs that come with it. How do I get around this? Are there other applications that are just as easy and not too expensive? Can I get iWeb without buying the iLife suite? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Telters

Telters is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5

Price wise - iWeb ends up being the cheapest (probably not what you wanted to hear), if you are talking about WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) website builders. Second to iWeb (but more expensive) is RapidWeaver. If you have any coding knowledge, you could try creating an online shop server side, and purchase a theme (which may be easier) by using PrestaShop (PrestaShop Free Open-Source e-Commerce Software for Web 2.0)
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

I use Freeway, which is similar to RapidWeaver as a WYSIWYG editor, and I've liked it. I used iWeb at first and there is a reason it is easy. It's horrible at getting indexed by search engines and doesn't create any html code worth anything. If you're trying to create a real site that will be indexed properly, especially for e-commerce, you'll find many things better than iWeb.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Wordpress is a nice Content Management System (CMS) where you don't really need a program or editor at all. Everything can be done through your browser from anywhere. Also, like Lbatson21 said - iWeb is not great from a SEO point of view (Search Engine Optimization). Wordpress would be way better for that.

All you need is a hosting company that supports/provides Wordpress and you can be up and running in minutes...

Give it a shot: WordPress › Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS

Cheers!

QUOTE Thanks
lperry65

lperry65 is on a distinguished road

Just following on from dekan, you can get some good themes from themeforest (Premium WordPress Themes, Web Templates, Mobile Themes | ThemeForest) at very good prices. There is also a free as in beer ecommerce plugin (WordPress › WP e-Commerce WordPress Plugins) that should easily cope with what your trying to do.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

big thumbs up for the wordpress suggestions from someone who builds websites for a living.

They're easy to install, configure, and lots of great themes that are easy to tweak.
QUOTE Thanks
pwfletcher

pwfletcher is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Server 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz

Dreamweaver!
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Honestly,

If you're planning on just selling items. you might try Etsy or big cartel.

Etsy.com is a large community of creative people who can buy and sell goods made by others. Small businesses, mom and pop shops, people who create crafts, bake goods, and everything in between. It's primarily geared toward people who make things, not to sell personal everyday house hold items. (if that makes sense?)

Big cartel is somewhat similar, they set you up with a shop and you can add your items. They are geared more toward artwork but I've seen people sell handcrafted soaps and edibles on there before.

I'd say etsy would be the best choice because there's a huge community and the people that are on the site and people that buy from etsy can really see what you're selling. You can also point your domain to your store if you choose to do so.

I think it's a great option because customers can rate your shop and the products you sell. It's much easier to maintain than an iWeb website.

In my opinion, iWeb isn't really suitable, or at least, isn't a very viable solution for eCommerce.

Hope that helps!

QUOTE Thanks
iMeki

iMeki is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody I'm trying to make a website for my youtube channel i want it to have interactive games, my videos and be able to post pictures and videos and articles on it. what tool could i use to make this or preferably from scratch
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWeb blog issue, GoDaddy hosting problem | Cloud hosting, is it any different to normal hosting ? »