New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Newbie question (be gentle)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

burtware

Hello all,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a mac for a long time and now i have decided to just go for it. However, I need to check a few things first.

I am a windows based web developer and I want to run the following setup.

1. A local web server running PHP/APACHE (and possibly MySQL)
2. I need to use a GOOD robust xhtml/css editor, I currently hand code in Homesite on my XP pro machine.

I am very interested in the idea of running a mac mini as a small developer unit. Is it possible to share monitors with a PC using the cable splitter switch ?

Thanks for any responses and that includes ones telling me what a dork I am.

cheers

burt
:headphone :robot:
QUOTE Thanks
MartinAustin

You're a dork, I'm a dork ... we all are! I'm sorry that I don't have the answers you seek, but I am too interested in finding this out. So, here's to (two) dorks finding their answers!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

1. Absolutely I am a web developer myself and run MAMP, a good site (http://www.entropy.ch)
2. I love BBEdit
3. No idea on this one.
QUOTE Thanks
Sodium Studios

One of my friends has a switcher cable for swaping between PC and Mac Mini.
Can't say what model or anything though...
QUOTE Thanks
MartinAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Studios
One of my friends has a switcher cable for swaping between PC and Mac Mini.
Can't say what model or anything though...
Do a search for KVM switches on newegg.com or your favorite online tech retailer. Some can be pricey, but most are reasonable. I don't have one, so I could recommend one, but this is what you're looking for.
QUOTE Thanks
burtware

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAustin
Do a search for KVM switches on newegg.com or your favorite online tech retailer. Some can be pricey, but most are reasonable. I don't have one, so I could recommend one, but this is what you're looking for.
thanks - i went and did a search a day or two ago and found out a fair amount.
i've got a mac mini on order and the switch too.

currently running a XP Pro setup with two 17" flat screens. looking to share one of the screens with the Mac mini

wish me luck.!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP TOO!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Personally for Apache, just turn on Personal Web Sharing, Mac OS X uses Apache as its web server, it just works. If you're good with apache then you can tweak it easily too. Installing PHP and MySQL shouldn't give you any headaches either.

For editing I either use the supplied TextEdit which works great but if you want syntax highlighting etc., TextWrangler is my recommendation as it is freeware.

I do a lot of PHP/MySQL and Web development myself so this will work great on a Mac.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
steveedge

There are a couple of packages out there that will install PHP and MYSQL in one install..If you want the standard installs. i think i saw them at versiontracker.com

The AB KVM will fix u up on monitors.
You must aquire BB Edit as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need to design a very simple website! | Folders »