New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

switching to mac platform and hosting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stark185

stark185 is on a distinguished road

me and my friend are planning to setup our website for our small business, the problem is he's a mac user and i'm not really that good with it. he said that we can setup our site using mac OS but i'm concerned that it might be more expensive than what a windows platform server can cost us.

any resource can you give me or advice how good is a mac OS as a server? sorry i'm a little noob with this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
darrylyoung

darrylyoung is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iPhone 5 | iPad 4

You're planning on creating and running your own server? Have you not looked into paying for webspace/hosting? With regard to "setting up the site", do you mean actually writing the code or hosting it?

If you're looking into hosting then unless you're planning on writing the website with ASP I suggest you buy some Linux hosting.

Is the website a simple HTML site or one with server-side scripting such as PHP? The more information we have, the more help we'll be able to give.

Web Developer, Vegan & Tech geek. Berlin.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

From what you write it sounds like your friend is looking into building your website with a Mac as in using something like iWeb? In that case I don't think it's going to be any more expensive than using a Windows machine - As "eattherich" says - you most likely require hosting and that's something you have to pay for.

Something like iWeb is fine for very small and simple pages - for anything that's a bit more complex I'd suggest a Content Management System (CMS) like Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, ... The learning curve to get started on them is a bit steeper but it's way more flexible to update and customize your site.

Cheers!

QUOTE Thanks
stark185

stark185 is on a distinguished road

thanks for your comments. we started to set it up little by little. actually, we took considerations of some of your suggestions. our site will have php and we decided to at least get a server and we are currently eyeing on some of the hosting provider here for Mac: webhostingsearch.com/mac-web-hosting.php. Also, we will use iWeb for the whole theme.

we've been reading some discussions for some hosting. There are those that sounds better than the other but any personal encounter for mac that you can suggest aside from the list here: webhostingsearch.com is much appreciated .. We need support and stability since we have to monitor the site constantly. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

is there any reason why you specifically need mac hosting? Macs are great for servers, in general, I have one, but honestly, decent linux hosting from a wide variety of good hosts are going to be easier and probably cheaper than maintaining and paying for a decent upload speed to run one.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think people kind of make the mistake of thinking because I designed a website on a Mac...I therefore have to use a Mac to host my server. Which isn't the case at all.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWeb novice question | How to script »