New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Clients updating websites without me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tempesta

Tempesta is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, i bought a mac a few months ago (I love it so much i sleep with it sometimes literally i sleep beside it haha)

Annyywwwaay awkward comment over.

I have got 2 jobs lined up to make websites, one is to make a website for a local town (the official town site) and one for a funiture company. I currently have iweb and also Rapidweaver. However, once i've made the website and put it on the world wide web....how will they update it if they don't have a mac? :/ This is a major problem which could mean me losing out on 6,000
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Code is platform-agnostic - the code you upload can be edited on any platform. The project files that you create with each (iWeb and RapidWeaver) are applications specific though. So, if you choose to use those apps, the clients will have to edit the code by hand.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Tempesta

so basically there is no simple way for them to update? they would need me unless they know complex coding
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

As I see it, you have three choices. 1) Treat it as a turnkey solution. You design the site for a price, and when it's done, it's theirs. From that point on, what they decide to do with it is up to them. They may choose to hire you again to update it, or they can choose to do it themselves. 2) Include a monthly maintenance clause where you choose to provide small updates once per month, and include it in the price of development. 3) Contract your services either on retainer or establish a fair hourly rate, above and beyond the cost of the site, for occasional updates.

As far as updating it, even though you're using Mac software to design it, it's HTML and related technologies - mostly platform agnostic. Someone savvy in web design could go in and tweak data as needed. And if they felt they needed a Mac to update it properly, they can certainly buy a brand new Mac Mini for $600 to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
Tempesta

Macs aren't quite that cheap here in the UK unfortunetely haha

I'm having a meeting with the two companies next week, so i'll lay those options down on the table to them.

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I personally think iWeb is pretty nifty, but there's NO WAY I would use it for a commercial product, and you've hit on one of several reasons why -- the HTML code it generates works well enough from a user perspective but is HORRIBLE from a future webmaster's perspective.

Of the two, Rapidweaver would be the CLEAR choice if those were my only options. iWeb just isn't designed for anything beyond a personal website, and those who try to make it do more are just putting lipstick on a pig, and it's not even a pig that has a future, or produces bacon (code) that anybody would want to work with. Okay, I think I hammed up the pig metaphor as far as I could take it. No point in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Really, if you're going to be doing websites for a living, I'd invest in either Dreamweaver, Flux or Coda -- the "big boy toys" of web design. For a small town and a small local business the "mid-level" stuff would probably do for now -- Rapidweaver, Sandvox, Freeway -- but if there's any chance you're going to be the one maintaining this thing, you are GOING to want to lay down a solid foundation that you can tackle on any platform using almost any tool, and that means using professional tools to design the site right in the first place.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If its going to be a large site that may need a lot of updates, by people who dont necessarily know web development then consider a Joomla, Drupal or even a wordpress based site

The site template can be designed with tools like rapidweaver and dreamweaver, but since it will be a database driven site, it can be easily updateded, and by not being a series of static pages, but a dynamic site, Google will pick it up a lot quicker

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Tempesta

I haven't used any of these programs mentioned heavily on a mac. Which would you say is the easiest to get to grips with?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempesta View Post
I haven't used any of these programs mentioned heavily on a mac. Which would you say is the easiest to get to grips with?
How much do you already know about html, CSS and javascript

Your level of knowledge of the above 3 will determine which program(s) people here will recommend

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Tempesta

i only really know a decent amount about css
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Design the site in Adobe Dreamweaver with editable areas and the client can edit with Adobe Contribute.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Custom title when adding to iPad home screen? | Can't think of a name!!! grrrr »