New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

password protect a link

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChrisAngus

Just in the process of building a website using dreamweaver.
is it possible to password protect a link?
QUOTE Thanks
danielbruzual

I don't know much about webdesign, but I think that the javacript prompt function should allow you to protect it with a password.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisAngus

hmm??
whats that then? I'm new to this sort of thing.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

I'm pretty sure you could use .htaccess files to protect a folder what the contents of the link point to ... have a google for it
QUOTE Thanks
wolf88

couldnt you just look at the page source to see where the link leads? or do you not mean a hyperlink?
QUOTE Thanks
danielbruzual

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf88
couldnt you just look at the page source to see where the link leads? or do you not mean a hyperlink?
Yeah, but most people don't know that!

useful info
that should work, unless you want to go more professional (I guess you would have to use php or a similar)
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

the bad thing about java passwords are that you turn your java off and you are in, the best way to do it (IMO) is just make a little button in Flash, then password protect it
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisAngus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbruzual
Yeah, but most people don't know that!

useful info
that should work, unless you want to go more professional (I guess you would have to use php or a similar)

Thanks for that daniel, just what i wanted.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanyogan

Javascript is as secure as a chain link fence, it holds off 80 year olds I guess. Javascript prompts can be bypassed by holding the space bar, looking at source, turning it off, etc.... Flash is ok, but you don't need to go that far. In your folder you want to protect, do a lil google on .htaccess , that file stuck in that dir will trigger the server to have you login before you can view it. Not the prettiest login, its a prompt that will come up and ask for username / password. The username and password can stored in the htaccess file, however I would recomend if you have php runnin on your server, pop a lil php script in there. If you need help I can show you how to do something simple in about 10 lines using the SESSION() and REQUIRE_ONCE() functions
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vanilla | apache help »