New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

zip files download

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

paigeypar

paigeypar is on a distinguished road

I am offering my psd files online for download via zipped folders. Some of my windows clients are opening the folders once unzipped and the psd files are not there. When multilple other users test it the .psd files are there.

I am using winzip mac to zip the files but was previously using stuffit

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
paigeypar

I posted this under images but I think it is more web related....

zip files download
I am offering my psd files online for download via zipped folders. Some of my windows clients are opening the folders once unzipped and the psd files are not there. When multilple other users test it the .psd files are there.

I am using winzip mac to zip the files but was previously using stuffit

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Why not simply use the built in archive feature? Highlight the files you want to archive > right click > Compress X Items (X = number of items highlighted).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
paigeypar

I tried that first - before the winzip and stuffit with the same result. Would you recommend not putting them in a folder and zipping the folder?
thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
paigeypar

I know that scrappers and designers sell psd files all the time this way. My customers all download from other sites with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There's no reason whatsoever to use any third-party program to zip files. Just put the images in a folder, right-click the folder and choose "compress."

As for the people who claim the files aren't there, I hate to say this but my money is on user error on their end. If that were true, NONE of other users would see the files either.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

As for the people who claim the files aren't there, I hate to say this but my money is on user error on their end. If that were true, NONE of other users would see the files either.
ditto

(Rather than crossposting, the proper way would be to PM one of the mods or use the report a post function and ask for the thread to be moved.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
paigeypar

sorry for the repost

I just found the problem on a scrap site and they said most of the problems are solved if you use stuffit to compress the files and tell the client to get 7-zip to open them.

Thanks for your help -
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Half of that advice is incorrect. Stuffit is absolutely not necessary. The problem, as it turned out, was exactly as Bob and I said: user error on the other end (they did not have a program to unzip files).
QUOTE Thanks
paigeypar

The thing that has me worried is that all of the people having problems regularly download and unzip files from other sites so they naturally (and I too) assume that I am doing something different than the other sites. At least two of the clients have Winzip. It is only my files that have PSD files in them that are having the problem. The files with jpegs and pngs are fine. File size has no bearing since some of the Jpeg files are very large.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Javascript Help | How to consolidate iWeb sites on two Macs »