New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Anyone help me figure out why php won't run even though I'm using MAMP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zipsfan21

zipsfan21 is on a distinguished road

First off I am new to the web design/programming world and this will probably be akin to someone posting to an automotive forum "How do I put a spare tire on?"

So I'm trying to get PHP up and running on my MBP. I am new to programming like I said, however I'm not bad at getting into dreamweaver and making changes to get things how I want to look and can get files saved from there opened via Safari/Firefox just fine. Now I'm trying to run a very basic php script (going through a php for absolute beginners page to start to learn it) just so I can check to make sure systems are all running. I've installed MAMP and it turns on fine and shows as everything working there. However when I open up the script I saved (PHPtest1.php) all the code appears along with text rather then the clean text. I'm not sure if I'm leaving out any info you might need but any and all help would be appreciated as I've just lost a ton of time to figuring out something that by all accounts should be quick and painless. I do have "websharing" turned on in my preferencs.

Here is the script that I try to open (and consequently appears in the broswer exactly this way) :

<html>
<head></head>
<body>

Agent: So who do you think you are, anyhow?
<br />

<?php
// print output
echo 'Neo: I am Neo, but my people call me The One.';
?>

</body>
</html>
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

You have the text marked out with the // and you only need the print or echo command
<?php print "Neo: I am Neo, but my people call me The One."; ?>

Here is a good place to start PHP Tutorial

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks
mjfleck2000

mjfleck2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac

I had a jolly time getting php working. It wasn't hard, just needed a few defaults in the php.ini file changed... especially the option for "short_tags".

In /etc/php.ini, under Language Options, change

short_open_tag = Off

to

short_open_tag = On

Once I did this, my php files worked.

Also, the first file I would use to verify php is one like this that I made: I make a file called phpinfo.php. In this file I typed:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

If php is working, you will get a printout of all php's configuration. VERY helpful to diagnose problems.

Hope this helps.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I am by no means a PHP expert but I believe the issue has something to do with the permissions on the page. Try the following:

1. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and type the following:
Code:
chmod 644
2. Now, drag the php file from Finder onto the Terminal window. The line in the terminal should now something like the following:
Code:
chmod 644 /path/to/phpfile/file.php
Press enter. Reload the page.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
zipsfan21

zipsfan21 is on a distinguished road

Before I try fooling with anything in terminal I just wanted to give everyone an update. I tried saving the .php files to sites in "User" on the HD and voila php scripts run beautifully from there. Not sure if this would pinpoint why when saved to MAMP (Applications> Mamp> phpscript.php) php won't run.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Easy iweb publisher help!! | Move from PC to Mac what about Dreamweaver? »