New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Website wrong on Mac OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sws1818

sws1818 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!

I have a big problem with my website. Currently I am working on a school project where I have to make a website. The website is 99%done, and works perfectly on windows, and the browsers in windows. But when I want to view it on a Mac computer with a Mac OS system, the website messes up. It is like there is some kind of margin problem, but then it should not work on windows? It is the front page, the News page and the Gallery page that has this problem.

So I am hoping someone in here can help me.

The Address is The Perth Group

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well loaded front page in FF, safari and Google Chrome on the front page and all seemed fine there.

Now News page was

And Gallery was good all through except for Chrome

Is this what you meant as *Margin Problems* ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
sws1818

Okay, the front page should be wrong also, at least on the macs i've tested it on. The flashplayer is beeing pushed out to the far right and is not center as it should be.

But yes, that is the problems I was referring to. Do you know how to fix these problems?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The problem has nothing to do with the OS - webpage rendering is independent of the underlying operating system. The issue is the browser. Have you tried viewing the webpage in a browser that you also use on Windows (there are at least four that work on both - Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
DenAtTheDBM

DenAtTheDBM will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The problem has nothing to do with the OS - webpage rendering is independent of the underlying operating system.
I wish that were true, unfortunately I've found that Firefox 3.6 for Linux != Firefox 3.6 for Windows != Firefox 3.6 for Mac.

For example, my employer has a site for employees to login and see their schedules and such, but it was created using Microsoft Silverlight. It only works in Windows. Even with the Silverlight plugin for Mac, the page starts to load but then just shows a blank white page where there should be a login dialog. Loads perfectly in all browsers in Windows, but not Linux or Mac.

Another example, I created a php script for my own site (www.theDBM.ca) that dynamically creates a gallery of thumbnails from images in a directory. When you click on a thumbnail, another php script displays the image and a brief description. That display page was intended to have a black background. Seemed to work fine when I created and tested it in Linux, but when I viewed it in Windows 7, the page had a default white background. Turns out the php scripts should have had proper html tags but were php only (my bad). It looked correct in Linux, but not in Windows - until I added the basic html tags. Now it looks the same in all platforms.

Moral of the story, if you don't do things absolutely "correct" then it seems the browser versions for different platforms do have different ways of handling "issues". But if you do everything right, they should all display the same thing (pretty close, anyway).
QUOTE Thanks
sws1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The problem has nothing to do with the OS - webpage rendering is independent of the underlying operating system. The issue is the browser. Have you tried viewing the webpage in a browser that you also use on Windows (there are at least four that work on both - Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari).
Iv'e tried all the browsers in windows, and the same browers in Mac OS. And all the browsers work on windows. And none of them work on Mac.
So it has to be something with the Mac OS...

So please help if you can
QUOTE Thanks
kpmedia

kpmedia is on a distinguished road

It looks like the JS is doing something badly.
Honestly, the site's code is extremely messy and would fail validation.

DVD Burning Problems? Learn which discs work best, and which are to be avoided, at digitalFAQ.com
Don't hate Windows. Just use Parallels! Best of both worlds!
QUOTE Thanks
sws1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
It looks like the JS is doing something badly.
Honestly, the site's code is extremely messy and would fail validation.
Actually, all the sites except the video site passed the validator with flying colors. So that is not the problem. I know it is not the prettiest code, but given the fact that it passed in the validator and works perfectly on all the browser in windows, Mac OS has to be the problem.. can't see what else it could be
QUOTE Thanks
kpmedia

kpmedia is on a distinguished road

I didn't think files with spaces would pass validation. At very least, it's not a good idea.
The code was simply messy. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

DVD Burning Problems? Learn which discs work best, and which are to be avoided, at digitalFAQ.com
Don't hate Windows. Just use Parallels! Best of both worlds!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

In my opinion it looks like bad CSS construction. I played with the front page a bit and was able to make it look correct on a Mac and Windows. I'm not convinced my CSS is great either, but the page looked good.

I altered the index.html file very little, but used the position tag several times in the css file, and fixed up the margins given my other changes. I used the wrapper as the base of the other boxes so one thing I got rid of was some of those negative numbers.

I didn't work on the other pages.

I don't know CSS well, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the HTML and CSS is more complicated than it needs to be, so I suspect the same result can be achieved by simplifying the box models, perhaps by splitting out your sections better.

By the way, in your 'content' tag, you can replace the following two lines with a background-color attribute. You'll save 12k from downloading the image that you'll also no longer need to create.
Code:
background-image:url(images/index_02.jpg);
background-repeat:repeat-y;
Code:
background-color: black;

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Count iWeb | Running Adobe Master Suite on macbook pro »