New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

GoLive or Dreamweaver?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justinpfarrell

I have used DW for a number of years, but recently purchased the CS2 Adobe suite that came with GoLive.

This post is to compare and contrast the two, hopefully giving the ups and downs of each. Maybe we can come to a consensus on which is a better program right now?
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

if your just writing HTML or CSS or anything like that.. it doesnt matter which you use, **** you could use text editor. But, if your going to visually build a website, GoLive is the way to go.

I have used both. Dreamweaver is alright and Golive is alright, I just like GoLive better.
QUOTE Thanks
justinpfarrell

For what reasons do you like GoLive better?
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004, and GoLive CS and CS2. In my opinion:

Dreamweaver is better than GoLive CS
GoLive CS2 blows away Dreamweaver

Why CS2 is better than DW:
Better user interface
Easier to use
More efficient workflow
More features
Very high compatibility and usability with multiple file types
Very high integration with the rest of the creative suite
QUOTE Thanks
Aarow

Dreamweaver(along with the rest of the macromedia suite) would probally have better integration with flash based sites( Because of Flash MX). While GoLiveCS(2) Would probally have better integration with PhotoshopCS(2).

I've never tried either of them, so I guess I wouldn't know.
QUOTE Thanks
justinpfarrell

I have been a die-hard DW user. I rely on photoshop heavily, and would like to make the switch but I feel like I would have to relearn a program. Its a scary and time consuming decision.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I personally have found that GoLive's integration with Flash is equal to Dreamweavers.

GoLive is actually pretty easy to learn, don't be scared. Just mess around with it for a couple weeks during any free time you may have (easier said than done I know). You'll get it pretty quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
hung

I have tested GoLive before, NOT CS2, but I prefer DW 2004
QUOTE Thanks
clintz

I have both and DW seems to be the better choice for me. You should try the little suckers and see for yourself, I know more people who like DW, but some other guys swear by GL CS2, it all depends on your choices and what you do.

clintz
QUOTE Thanks
jessica

I used DW forever, then I got my Mac and only had GoLive. I am still getting used to it, but overall I do like it a lot. Plus, using the adobe suite -- it would be silly to go out and spend more cash on DW.
QUOTE Thanks
damontgo

DW works fine with any photoshop app, and DW has the added bonus of working seamlessly with Flash, Fireworks, and whatever graphics app it is that MX puts out. Freehand I think? I would go DW, as I also believe it's easier to learn, and more people use it.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

I actually think GoLive is easier to learn, but whatever. Anyways, I was just thinking, Adobe acquired Macromedia a cpl months ago if I recall. I wonder if there will be continued releases of both GoLive and Dreamweaver, or if they will be combined. If one is stopped, then you'd want to have the other from an upgrading standpoint in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
este

Dreamweaver is much better. (of course this is my opinion) but not without its major downs... sometimes it just appears that dreamweaver has a mind of its own and loves to add, edit and "correct" your code, but you cna prevent this by changing the apps preferences.

As far as learnig a new software, its like riding a bike, it may take you a bit to feel comfortable with the new program, but after a few minutes you shouold be up to par wit what is going on...

kind of like using photoshop and fireworks, though i know photoshop is much better, both aps are basically the same and work alike.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mini webmail | Resolving hosts on a OSX Workgroup server »