New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Looking for Mac Software to maintain web site

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RattlerMac

RattlerMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iTouch 64Gb 4gen, Itouch 64Gb 5gen, iPad mini Retina

I'm new to this board and the Mac World. I have a website that I maintained on a Vaio. The wintel was given to a friend and I replaced it with a Mac Book Pro.

Looking for recommendations for what software I should use now.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Please be sure to search first, you'll find valuable information already on the forum by using our search function:

Mac-Forums.com - Search Forums

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

What software did you use to write or maintain the website on your PC?
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Mac Specs: Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iTouch 64Gb 4gen, Itouch 64Gb 5gen, iPad mini Retina

I used that hi-tech program called FrontPage. Stop laughing, it was free and for a non-profit group.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You can use Dreamweaver, iWeb, Coda, or a host of others.

Honestly, this has been discussed many times before so utilizing search will be your best option to get the information you're looking for to make the best choice.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

ok subject is dropped. I'm new to the Mac World and was looking for something to break the ice and start the transition.
QUOTE Thanks
salsadirect

salsadirect is on a distinguished road

hi there,
you know, i am a self-taught webdesigner, and what i have found is, no matter what you used for designing the original site, by far the easiest way to regularly update is using Word or any simple text software, for which you need just a tiny bit of ability to recognise HTML code.

1) look at the relevant page in your browser, and select from the menu >view > view source

2) select all and copy all this text

3) paste the whole lot into a Word document

4) then just edit away, eg removing a word/paragraph/photo/whatever, and /or writing in the new stuff, which can be done by smply copying and pasting a previous paragraph with its HTML code at the beginning and end, and then jsut changing the text.

5) make sure you save it as a .txt file only (NOT HTML)

6) upload it to your server, changing the filename suffix to ".htm"

hope this works for you. I do all mine this way. You can easily add in movies, music clips, whatever, you will find plenty of free HTML code online if you need to learn new code.

Thanks!
Salsadirect
QUOTE Thanks
thedoc

thedoc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo

Salsadirect that must take you ages!

I highly endorse text editors, SubEthaEdit being my prefered, however Coda is also pretty sweet.

RattlerMac; if you are used to FrontPage (poor guy) you'll get on well with Dreamweaver, but I think that there is FrontPage 2008 for OS X which might be worth looking into...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If text coding isn't your bag then, recently, someone posted about this cool bit of software - I am going to give it a try myself

The Escapers - Flux

If free and open source is what you want then there is KompoZer (quite like FrontPage)
KompoZer - Easy web authoring

If you dont mind building the site again, then iWeb is easy and comes with some slick templates to start you off
(comes on the Mac already)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what is the root of my website (dropbox) | Make thumbnails transparent and open to a larger picture on same page? »