New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

The best message boards?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thommy

I have a client (punk rock band) who are wanting a message board for there site, but the server they are on does not have MySql. I would've built a message board for them using phpbb - but since i don't have that option i am looking for other ways to get them a decent message board.

if you all know of anything rather cheap, free, or just have some good suggestions i'd apreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

You are looking for a flatfile text based board? You are not on a box that supports MySQL? Do you have access to any other DB's? I believe Invision supports mutiple DB types. But if you are looking for a flatfile DB, I don't thing there are too many left. A quick google came up with this : http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...=1103&lngWId=8. I have no idea what it is, but it says it's a flatfile message board?

Another thing, what hosting service are you using? If they don't provide MySQL you are not at the right place I provide hosting on the side. If you are interested in hearing about it, PM me. I'm sure we could strike a deal

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
SlicerDicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy
I have a client (punk rock band) who are wanting a message board for there site, but the server they are on does not have MySql. I would've built a message board for them using phpbb - but since i don't have that option i am looking for other ways to get them a decent message board.

if you all know of anything rather cheap, free, or just have some good suggestions i'd apreciate it.

eek no DB crap buddy i dont know what to use everything i have ever used uses SQL

hell as far as that goes hate to have to give this as a idea but hell its what i did. I went to lycos.co.uk and made a account to run my phpbb boards till i got dsl that could run my site. just a thought if you dont mind ads but then again it looks like hell so may not work.
QUOTE Thanks
TheMacOS.com

I like phpBB.... very powerful and easy to use...

I tried several and didnt like them as much.
QUOTE Thanks
thePurpleGiant

I would seriously suggest getting the to change webhosts. I haven't heard of one in recent times that wont give you MySQL included. I cannot think of any forum that works without some form of database itegration I'm sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
nr-media

You can use a CGI/Perl msg board. WWWBoards and WebBBS are the most popular.
QUOTE Thanks
iKwak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr-media
You can use a CGI/Perl msg board. WWWBoards and WebBBS are the most popular.
There should be free message boards that are hosted within their server.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Surfers linking sites to guestbooks | upload/download pics from .mac to ebay »