New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Allowing Clients to Update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justinpfarrell

What is the best method for allowing your clients to update certain pages? Pages that need simple text updates like a calendar page, or events page? I do not have any php or asp experience...I was curious if there was a program that would assist me? thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

well coldfusion requires programming but that is what the professionals use. I never tried it since when I was in the business I was a freshman in HS. I am planning on re-entering that business as a senior next year, and coldfusion will be one of the first things I buy. I don't believe it is hard, it is not like just a blank document where you type, it has a interface and you can click around in it. Get a tutorial or 2 and you should be fine.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

One way would to look around the internet for free PHP or ASP scripts for you to use ... for my site I have a news bit on the index.php that uses 'fusion news' it works really well and I found it quite easy to setup, use and maintain

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
dziner

Another solution is to use Dreamweaver to create templates with editable regions (pretty simple to create) and have the client install Macromedia Contribute. This allows you to set editable areas for the client. The client pulls up their site within Contribute just like a web browser and can then click on an edit tab and make any changes they need, then save. It works through simple FTP so there is no need for server-side technology such as ASP or PHP and Contribute is very inexpensive.

Macromedia has a free trial plus an overview movie that you can check out for all of the features.
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpfarrell
What is the best method for allowing your clients to update certain pages? Pages that need simple text updates like a calendar page, or events page? I do not have any php or asp experience...I was curious if there was a program that would assist me? thanks,
For calendar and events page, you definitely need to get a script for those. I'm sure a lot of them are available at www.hotscripts.com. you'll just have to customise the appearance and put it in your template.

As for updating text on other pages, Macromedia Contribute [http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/] will let you do that. Kinda pricy though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help a student with mac. plz! | [all read] easy way to make money and support your website? »