New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Web deployment, ftp & .php: the deliberations of a noob

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

Ok, firstly I'm pretty new to web design and am really quite enjoying it so far, but I do have a few questions.

If I sit at my desk and develop a number of webpages, such as

index.html
helloworld.html
contactus.html
main.css

and I stick them all in a folder, do I just upload that folder via ftp to a web server and then the world can see see my website?

If I was to buy a domain name, such as http://www.andy4prez.com am I buying space on a web server as well that I can push the folder to or do I have to pay costs for a web server and a domain name?

With regards to .php files and MySQL, where do I actually put the database? Is that also just added to the folder that gets sent to the web server or do you have to make special provisions for a database, or must it be placed in a special location to function correctly?

Are websites ever made up of .html and .php pages or should that really be avoided?

I've been using MAMP to get started and play with .php files. So far I've just been pushing my test .php files through Apache and MySQL locally to experiment but is there any way to open this up to the internet? ie. can I leave MAMP on in my room and access the pages that I have in the relevant folders at another location?

Cheers!

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I wouldn't recommend you use MAMP as an external server. As per their philosophy: "MAMP was created primarily as a PHP development environment for Macintosh computer and should therefore not be used as Live Webserver for the Internet. In this case, we recommend that you use Mac OS X server with the provided Apache or a Linux server."

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Configuring Multiple Web Sites with single IP on web server running Snow Leopard | Resetting websettings on snow leopard »