New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Counter on iWeb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aubrey

aubrey is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I was trying to add a counter on my website that I created with iWeb - I got as far as putting it on the page in iWeb, but when it is published it doesn't appear. The same thing happens with the "search" box - it is there in the design phase, but is lost in the publishing/uploading.

Any solutions?

Thanks,
Aubrey
www.beachycove.ca
QUOTE Thanks
Vinny Vegas

Vinny Vegas is on a distinguished road

I've not tried what you are doing but have added a counter via a widget...just went out on web & got html to add to widget snippet & it worked like a charm.

Is it possible your search box needs to be brought to front? Is it hidden behind something?
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

hmmm....not sure bout your second question - I don't think it's hidden behind something. It's right there on the page when I am designing it - just doesn't materialize when I "publish" the site changes.

I should play around with your first suggestion...not really sure how it works, but will give it a try.

Thanks,
Aubrey
QUOTE Thanks
HEWLIO

HEWLIO is on a distinguished road

if you are publishing via FTP the hit counter built into iWeb will not work. You have to be on the mobileme servers in order for it to work. Which i find is stupid
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

Hi and thanks...maybe that's my problem. I am just "publishing" via ftp.

Thanks for solving the mystery. Will have to do without a counter I guess!

Aubrey
QUOTE Thanks
mark73

mark73 is on a distinguished road

Hi. Forget a counter. Get a tracker. Type in extreme tracking in Google and follow your nose. FTP is not a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iWeb's OWN page counter won't work without MobileMe, but that doesn't mean you can't have a web page counter if you want -- just copy the "embed" code for any web page counter you want (re: Vinny Vegas' tip) and use "HTML Snippet" in iWeb to add it to your site.

But yes, tracking can (in some cases) be a better idea than hit counters.
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

Thanks so much...will give this a try. Never heard of this before, but will definitely take a look.

Aubrey
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

Ok...did it and it seems like a great idea. However, I am not happy with the placement of the logo on my website. How can I delete the HTML snippet so I can start over and reposition it on my site?

(www.beachycove.ca)

Thanks,
Aubrey
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
Ok...did it and it seems like a great idea. However, I am not happy with the placement of the logo on my website. How can I delete the HTML snippet so I can start over and reposition it on my site?

(www.beachycove.ca)

Thanks,
Aubrey
1. Open the page in iWeb.

2. Locate the box the HTML snippet is in

3. Select the box and press delete (or move it -- a bit tricky to do sometimes)
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

That's my problem - I can't seem to select the box...it's just too wonky!!!
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

Ok...got it deleted...pays to read directions sometimes!

Ok...one more question. How can I insert a word file into an iWeb page? I want the document to show up in its entirety (it's just a one-pager) and not the link.

Thanks for your help!

Aubery
QUOTE Thanks
neonmac

neonmac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it

Counters are terrible anyway. I had clients who 100% insisted upon having a counter on their site. Several major flaws with them.. Every time you refresh the page or go back to that page, it counts it as a fresh hit. That drives me insane. I prefer to follow the tracking patterns via the server control panel.

I am sorry if i seem harsh on counters. I just had flashbacks of one of the most annoying clients ever in humanity, when I saw the word counter.

The only thing Microsoft could make that would not suck, would be a vacum.

www.obsessivemacdisorder.com
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
Ok...got it deleted...pays to read directions sometimes!
Glad to hear it worked!

Quote:
Ok...one more question. How can I insert a word file into an iWeb page? I want the document to show up in its entirety (it's just a one-pager) and not the link.
You'll want to convert it to a PDF or a JPEG image file and just "place" it like you would an image, or convert it to styled text and re-lay it out on your site.
QUOTE Thanks
aubrey

Hi,
I converted it to .pdf and did the "drag n' drop" thing but it appears way too small for human cornea...lol......it seems as if when I make it larger by dragging on the corners, it will resize it, but when it is "dragged and dropped" (which is what needs to happen to me right now!) it doesn't show the bottom part of the document. It's the "March 2010" calendar on our website (www.beachycove.ca).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aubrey
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to publish blog via ftp (Blogger no longer supports) | Suggestion for an HTML editor »