New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

how to get iweb to quit redirecting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shanni

Shanni is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" | 2gb ram | 320gb hd | wireless keyboard & mouse

I used iweb to make a page as a placeholder on a new site I bought until I decided what to do with the domain. I decided to go with a wordpress blog and I deleted all my iweb stuff via FTP but when I type in the domain it is STILL redirecting to the folder my iweb stuff was in. Help! How do I get it to quit doing that so my new blog will display when I type in my site name?

I switched on 02/09/08! I love my iMac
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

There is still a file in the root of your web directory hierarchy called index.html that's pointing to the site folder of iWeb. My guess is that your blog has a .php index page, and the .html page is taking precedence (on the server side, it's possible to set an order of precedence for pages to be displayed in terms of a start page, some sites have (in order of extension, ignoring the filename itself since some sites will key off of index or home for a main index page for a site) .html, .htm, .php, etc.).

I'd say ftp into your site, look for the index.html page and rename it to index.old and then navigate to your site in your web browser.

Not guaranteeing that's your problem, but that's what it sounds like to me (which is why I suggested renaming the existing index.html file to something else then loading the page to make sure it works)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Shanni

Shanni is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" | 2gb ram | 320gb hd | wireless keyboard & mouse

Thank you! I knew it was something like that and I deleted the index.html but it was still redirecting, which baffled me since the only index in the root directory was the new .php one. But I started over, renames the .html one to .old and THEN placed the new .php one in and it worked!

I switched on 02/09/08! I love my iMac
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Good deal, glad it worked out!

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using CMS Made Simple with MAMP - Step-By-Step | Slideshow on the Web?? »