New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Novice help please with iWeb - Free - Web-hosting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Layercake65

Layercake65 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac

Hi Experts.

I have an iMac with iWeb & im looking to create my own personal web page & blog using iWeb, like you do.

My question is; is there a free alternative to using "Mobile me" for displaying my web/blog page on the web? ie Free web-hosting facility. or am i better paying a subscription for "Mobile me".

Thx for any help

Keith.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

iWeb im sure only works with a subscription to mobile.me ......
There are free blog sites but iWeb and mobile me work in unison with each other.
If you use or blog quite a bit, it could well be worth the subscription

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Layercake65

Hi Mate..

On the drop down bar on iWeb its give alternatives:-

1) FTP server, which I assume is an alternative web hosting facility?
2) Local folder, which im assuming is your local computer/network?

So my question is regards FTP -= Web-hosting , are there free good ones?

I am only posting my web page & blog... nothing more.

K
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

iWeb will work with 3rd party hosting sites, but you will loose some functionality (there are certain plugins in iWeb that only work through mobileme - I don't know what they are off hand, but if you do a search online I'm sure you'll find which features don't work) - you'll want to check what you loose to make sure you don't loose the blogging aspect since I really don't know how iWeb blogging works.

in terms of free web hosting - that I can't answer - I pay for my domain hosting. There may be some quality free hosting providers now, but in the past they have been swarmed with ads forced onto ones page and that's just not something I like... plus usually free hosting doesn't provide as many extra services as paid hosting does (domain name hosting, email, database/php support, advanced scripting and logging, etc.)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

You're not going to find any good, free webhosts that will allow you to upload your iWeb site. Look into a service like blogger of Wordpress if you want something free.
QUOTE Thanks
Layercake65

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I guess I'm better paying £59 per annum with"Mobile Me"...

Thx again.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
You're not going to find any good, free webhosts that will allow you to upload your iWeb site.
Not so. You can publish your iWeb page to a folder and simply upload that. If you have iWeb 09, follow the steps in 2.3 here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Not so. You can publish your iWeb page to a folder and simply upload that. If you have iWeb 09, follow the steps in 2.3 here.
What does this have to do with the issue of free hosting? You still have to host the folder somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWeb 'My Albums' page does not load correctly | Using CMS Made Simple with MAMP - Step-By-Step »