New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Web design software options like....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hi all,

I'm having a heck of a time finding a web development package I like and can afford...

Rapidweaver - cool, but restricted to templates (ugh)
iWeb - more restricted then Rapidweaver, some functions only work if hosted on a site like MobileMe
Kompozer - great if I want to do all design myself - including menus and such - but limited for website plugins or user created plugins for websites (like java scripts, etc)
Freeway - looks neat, but freeway express (within price range) seems to eliminate a lot of functionality (including it seems actions) and freeway pro is way beyond my price range.
Amaya - no.
Dreamweaver - umm, way beyond my price range.

What I'd love to find, but don't know if it exists - is something like:
WYSIWYG Web Builder - reasonably priced, quite powerful for a wysiwyg, has many pre-built scripts, ability to use custom scripts, theme support (but development of a given page doesn't require the use of a theme), nice advanced menu support (dropdowns, etc. without a lot of hand work), etc. for the Mac.

Yes, I could just run that web builder in a VM, but honestly, I'd prefer a Mac native solution rather then using a VM/bootcamp/additional computer

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Ernestkarelia

Ernestkarelia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac,Macbook Pro

If I were you i would find something that can make the job done with not have to spend that much money. I use Sandvox and Dreamweaver.

Sandvox for some fast work and Dreamweaver for some legit professional work
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Ironic, I just made a post about installing CMS Made Simple.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I saw your post the other day... I actually already know how to install/use a CMS, but, honestly, I don't want to use a CMS system for this website - at least not one quite like that one - if I were to use a CMS, at this point, I'd do the overall design and my own PHP to integrate into a back end that was just designed for creating content (ie: using PureEdit CMS PureEdit, Making content management purely simple. ) - I've never been good at building templates for CMS systems (whether it be CMS Made simple, joomla, drupal, etc.).

To Ernestkarelia: Unfortunately, Dreamweaver is a tinsy bit beyond my financial means Sandvox may be interesting, but I'll have to try it out.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHighway

MacHighway is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)

If you haven't seen them there are a lot of third-party templates for RapidWeaver. Plus, if you dig into the CSS with a text editor and any image editing application you can heavily customize an RW template.

Hopefully that was helpful to you.

Chris Graves
President, MacHighway
Real Web Hosting for Mac Users, by Mac Users, Since 1997
www.machighway.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new install (php 5.3) giving problems | Dreamweaver CS4 - stop the CSS? »