Dougbtn
    Question FTP / Bandwidth Question
    I wondered if anyone might be able to help me with this little conundrum:

As a recent switched from PC I have been thrilled with both my macs however, last weekend I was trying to upload about 4Gb of photos to my printer and although they eventually went, I could do no other work that involved the web during that time. I checked the system monitor and it would allow me no download bandwidth at all whilst the uploads were happening. If I opened a browser then it could not even find a page Is this normal? Does anyone know if I should be tweaking anything?

FYI I was running a G5 Dual 2Ghz, connected to Netgear Router and using a 1Mb ADSL line and the FTP software was "Transfer"

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    how long has it been since your last repairing permissions, or last restart before this happened? is the router you mentioned a wireless connection or wired? is your firewall on or set up correctly? are you using any port forwarding methods?

SogniX
    Uploading that much data will slow the rest of your network down to a crawl. Especially 1MB DSL. I'm on 3MB Cable and that happens at times to me too... but not as bad as when I had DSL. It's normal.

Dougbtn
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    how long has it been since your last repairing permissions, or last restart before this happened? is the router you mentioned a wireless connection or wired? is your firewall on or set up correctly? are you using any port forwarding methods?
    Hi MacMan, Thanks for the reply. I had indeed repaired the permission [not bad for a Mac viring I thought ;-)]. The router is hard wired and was working fine with the PC last month.... however.... on your advice I went in and reset everything down to bog standard, when I switched the VPN off everything perked up no end. I havent uploaded huge files yet but will at the weekned though everything is looking much rosier now as I do get downstream traffic [though understandably slowed] so can continue working whilst uploads occur.

Thanks for the help

Doug

PS - I will make an update when I download for anyone elses reference

PPS -The Router is a NETGEAR DG834G with current firmware

Thread Information