New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

IP Address

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Whats the best way to mask or hide my IP address when I search/browse the web with Safari on my Mac?

I'm a bit of a security freak, so I do what I can...
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs2sensen
Whats the best way to mask or hide my IP address when I search/browse the web with Safari on my Mac?

I'm a bit of a security freak, so I do what I can...

I'd like to know this as well.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If you are on Tiger than go to Safari -> Private Browsing

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

Anything like this for Panther?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Nope that came out with Safari 2.0 which is only on Tiger

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

This is not as clean or as neat as built in support for the feature... but check out this site. About midway down the page you have the ability to browse anon on the web by entering the site there.
http://www.all-nettools.com/library,privacy,4
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

I don't think private browsing will hide your IP address - I'm pretty sure the only way to do something like that is to use a web-based proxy server. This is because whenever your computer sends a request to your ISP for a website it's your ISP that gives the IP info to the host server, not your computer.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
KuruMonkey

I've not seen this Private Browsing (Panther for me), but unless it connects you to a proxy, then it doesn't hide your IP address. And even if it does, that still means that single proxy has your ip address, recorded against what it proxied for you.

If you want to surf for your pr0n and not leave an IP trace, you need to find an anonymous proxy, set yourself up to use it, do your stuff, then not use that proxy again.

I can't remember the name, but on the PC you can get a program that cycles a list of known proxies for you; so that sequencial requests are proxied through different IP addresses. That gives the best hiding you're going to get.

Also it is possible to proxy your proxy (i.e. get your machine to ask proxy A, which asks proxy B etc.)

Whether any of this is available on the Mac? I don't know. But "anonymous proxy" and "open proxy" are the things you want to be looking for.

Be aware that this will cock up tracking cookies, since the cookie will relate to the proxy ID.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

www.the-cloak.com

we used to use it at college to get on ringtone websites lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« invalid file on yahoo. | FTP / Bandwidth Question »