New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Thoughts on my blog design

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Make-Out Music.com: A Sophisticated Indie-Pop MP3 Blog
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Hi,

I like it. Its simple, but I'm a minimalist. I think its well designed and well written. I suppose for a further critic, it may only take few changes to make it more mainstream if that is the direction you want to go, but (used to be) you don't have to do that to gain regular readership. Its full of personality. I mean that in a good way.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yep it is simple and i think its ok mate.
But one piece of constructive criticism (just my opinion) is when i went to it i felt closed in, having the 1st thing i saw was a Brown Cassette Player, with brown borders and to top it off brown writing to the right of the CassPlay. It is a good design but to have it brown as much as it is it was too much and Too heavy. I felt lazy and really didnt want to scroll further, but as your looking for opinions, I did.
Was happy with what is under neath it but that much brown as a welcome to the page .... Not for me sorry mate. Keep it up though and post back any changes ...

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Thank you both for the kind words and critique.

I agree, there was too much brown. I've since changed it to a dark grey (after not liking black). Is it more appealing? Also, is the header (big cassette + blog title) too big?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

yea the cassette is a little over powering. If you could shrink the cassette down and maybe change the title to above the cassette, maybe. Dunno i just keep looking above the cassette to find a header or some sort of info

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

If you wouldn't mind taking a look now, I think it's a little clearer.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think it's a major improvement. Although it doesn't quite scream design quite just yet. It's still looks a bit bland because all you did was type the words out and stacked them. That's kind of type setting 101.

Try playing with different weights with the fonts, IE having something bold and something thin. Playing with the colors was a good start, and having them different sizes is going in the right direction. Pay attention to hierarchy and composition.

What do you want to be dominant and the first thing people see, read, experience. Do you want it to be image driven, or type driven?

After you answer some of these questions, you can design more objectively.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

I want it to be type-driven, for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
I want it to be type-driven, for sure.
Well now that you answered that question, you can start designing it that way. ^-^"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Yea its getting there mate ... Not a designer my self listen to what Crimson has to say .. Has given good advice and changed things for people with good outcomes ... But i do like it better than the 1st page you had up. In is not as obtrusive to the observer now ...

Keep it up

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I never got to see what it looked like in the beginning phase, but as it stands right now, I like the minimal approach. It's clean, and that's important. The font you've chosen for the header is pretty good, and the design is classy thus far. You don't ever have to stop making refinements, but my only suggestion would be to take it slow.

Don't lose perspective on the material you're hosting, and don't try to make things too flashy because it can go from class to over done within the blink of an eye.. literally.

Make the changes you want, and test out the waters. But I think you're definitely on the right track. I'm not a designer btw, but will soon be putting together my own site (photography) using RapidWeaver. What I've learned so far is that these things are not nearly as easy as one might think !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

I added notes directly on the image. Sorry I was kind of in a rush to do it. I have some other things I wanted to say but couldn't fit it on there.

I like how you are experimenting with the type, however the image is still dominant. Especially since it's so large. It doesn't help that they are right next to each other either.

I think for this composition it would be easier and more eye pleasing to the viewers if you kept things in a unit, or block. Much like your image, since it's basically a solid rectangle you should also try to mimic that shape with your type.

It's easier to read, plus everything is together and people can get information quickly.

Example:

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post

I added notes directly on the image. [...] Example:

I like both really. In the end its content. The leading subject is fun.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Crimson: Thanks for the notes. I guess I lowercased the ".com" because it wasn't as important as the blog's title (which is in all caps). As for the tagline ("A Pop Music Blog"), I wanted each word a different size -- from smallest to biggest -- to stress each word's importance. Are these legit concerns?

I do understand your idea about there being two competing shapes, which I wasn't aware of until now and I'm still not sure how to approach it. While I think your revision to match the boom box logo works, I'm just not sure if it's eye-catching enough.

Still interested to hear your thoughts and thanks for the help.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Publishing Issues with iWeb | Need a contact form »