New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Small Business, E-Commerce on Snow Leopard Server

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhamTh

PhamTh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2

Hello Everyone,

I am currently designing an e-commerce website using Adobe CS4 for my mother.

If I purchase a Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard pre-installed, what is the best isp for this situation?

Do I need to have a separate ISP for this situation or can I just use my mothers DSL?

How does their Apache server work?

How will php and mysql work?

I currently have other shared websites hosted by Bluehost.com, since Mac Servers already provide SSL certificates for e-commerce would I need to purchase a dedicated ip address?

I would be extremely grateful for any other information I can have.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhamTh View Post
I am currently designing an e-commerce website using Adobe CS4 for my mother.
Adobe CS4 is an entire suite of software.
Which applications from CS4 are you using?

Quote:
If I purchase a Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard pre-installed, what is the best isp for this situation?
Do I need to have a separate ISP for this situation or can I just use my mothers DSL?
The ISP doesn't matter one bit.
If you're looking for site hosting, there are a number of possibilities.
Quote:
How does their Apache server work?
Whose Apache server?
Quote:
I currently have other shared websites hosted by Bluehost.com, since Mac Servers already provide SSL certificates for e-commerce would I need to purchase a dedicated ip address?
That's entirely up to you and whichever hosting company you choose.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
PhamTh

I'm actually using the whole suite to create the website, photoshop to edit images, illustrator to create logos, and i transfer it all into dream weaver at the end and load em up.

If I remember correctly it is Apple's apache webserver, I'm not sure. Its obvious I'm a newb at this, lol, thanks for you help.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Home DSL and Cable service should not be used to run commercial businesses, the ISP's frown on it..running a low key website is one thing, but a spike of traffic will cause your access to go down quickly.

Secondly, if you wish to host the website on the Mac, you will need to install Apache/PHP and MySQL on it..

To support SSL, you will need a static IP address which most ISP no longer give out unless you go with the business package. Depending on the scale of the ecommerce site, you're probably better of getting it hosted on something like bluehost.com (or any other webhost) but go with their ecommerce package so that you can make use of the shopping carts and SSL.

Regards

Quote:
If I remember correctly it is Apple's apache webserver, I'm not sure. Its obvious I'm a newb at this, lol, thanks for you help.
Apache is an open source webserver that runs on all OS', not just Mac..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
PhamTh

I currently have Mamp installed on my computer. Will that work on the mac server?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yup, MAMP is the combination of Apache, MySQL and PHP for Mac..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
PhamTh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Secondly, if you wish to host the website on the Mac, you will need to install Apache/PHP and MySQL on it..

To support SSL, you will need a static IP address which most ISP no longer give out unless you go with the business package. Depending on the scale of the ecommerce site, you're probably better of getting it hosted on something like bluehost.com (or any other webhost) but go with their ecommerce package so that you can make use of the shopping carts and SSL.
Now, I'm really confused. Apple advertises their server having 1 default ssl certificate.

With the shopping carts, I intend on using separate 3rd-party programs, quickbooks, and paypal, etc instead of the onces blue host provides.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

The SSL certificate has to be tied to a static IP address which you will need to procure from your ISP, and as I suggested, they won't hand those out for residential customers, only business customers. And if you're going to fork money over for the business package, might as well avoid all that cost including the Mac Mini and get the entire thing hosted externally..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
PhamTh

Ah, I finally get it now, thanks for all your help Raz0rEdge
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tracking MySpace Traffic | how to forward to mobile website?? »