Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2009
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2
    Small Business, E-Commerce on Snow Leopard Server
    Hello Everyone,

    I am currently designing an e-commerce website using Adobe CS4 for my mother.

    If I purchase a Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard pre-installed, what is the best isp for this situation?

    Do I need to have a separate ISP for this situation or can I just use my mothers DSL?

    How does their Apache server work?

    How will php and mysql work?

    I currently have other shared websites hosted by Bluehost.com, since Mac Servers already provide SSL certificates for e-commerce would I need to purchase a dedicated ip address?

    I would be extremely grateful for any other information I can have.

  2. #2

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by PhamTh View Post
    I am currently designing an e-commerce website using Adobe CS4 for my mother.
    Adobe CS4 is an entire suite of software.
    Which applications from CS4 are you using?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhamTh View Post
    If I purchase a Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard pre-installed, what is the best isp for this situation?
    Do I need to have a separate ISP for this situation or can I just use my mothers DSL?
    The ISP doesn't matter one bit.
    If you're looking for site hosting, there are a number of possibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhamTh View Post
    How does their Apache server work?
    Whose Apache server?
    Quote Originally Posted by PhamTh View Post
    I currently have other shared websites hosted by Bluehost.com, since Mac Servers already provide SSL certificates for e-commerce would I need to purchase a dedicated ip address?
    That's entirely up to you and whichever hosting company you choose.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #3


    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2009
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2
    I'm actually using the whole suite to create the website, photoshop to edit images, illustrator to create logos, and i transfer it all into dream weaver at the end and load em up.

    If I remember correctly it is Apple's apache webserver, I'm not sure. Its obvious I'm a newb at this, lol, thanks for you help.

  4. #4

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,820
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Home DSL and Cable service should not be used to run commercial businesses, the ISP's frown on it..running a low key website is one thing, but a spike of traffic will cause your access to go down quickly.

    Secondly, if you wish to host the website on the Mac, you will need to install Apache/PHP and MySQL on it..

    To support SSL, you will need a static IP address which most ISP no longer give out unless you go with the business package. Depending on the scale of the ecommerce site, you're probably better of getting it hosted on something like bluehost.com (or any other webhost) but go with their ecommerce package so that you can make use of the shopping carts and SSL.

    Regards

    Quote Originally Posted by PhamTh View Post
    If I remember correctly it is Apple's apache webserver, I'm not sure. Its obvious I'm a newb at this, lol, thanks for you help.
    Apache is an open source webserver that runs on all OS', not just Mac..

    Regards

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2009
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2
    I currently have Mamp installed on my computer. Will that work on the mac server?

  6. #6

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,820
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Yup, MAMP is the combination of Apache, MySQL and PHP for Mac..

    Regards

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2009
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Secondly, if you wish to host the website on the Mac, you will need to install Apache/PHP and MySQL on it..

    To support SSL, you will need a static IP address which most ISP no longer give out unless you go with the business package. Depending on the scale of the ecommerce site, you're probably better of getting it hosted on something like bluehost.com (or any other webhost) but go with their ecommerce package so that you can make use of the shopping carts and SSL.
    Now, I'm really confused. Apple advertises their server having 1 default ssl certificate.

    With the shopping carts, I intend on using separate 3rd-party programs, quickbooks, and paypal, etc instead of the onces blue host provides.

  8. #8

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,820
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    The SSL certificate has to be tied to a static IP address which you will need to procure from your ISP, and as I suggested, they won't hand those out for residential customers, only business customers. And if you're going to fork money over for the business package, might as well avoid all that cost including the Mac Mini and get the entire thing hosted externally..

    Regards

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2009
    Posts
    5
    Specs:
    Version 10.6.2, 2.5 GHz, 2 GB MHz DDR2
    Ah, I finally get it now, thanks for all your help Raz0rEdge

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
  2. Mac Mini as small business server
    By bbuilder in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM
  3. Mac Mini or iMac as a small business server?
    By HongKongAlan in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
  4. Windows Small Business Server 2003 and Mac
    By leenancarrow in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
  5. Microsoft Small Business Server 2000
    By chicagodude in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 02:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •