Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Nov 27, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Is RapidWeaver a good alternative to FrontPage?
    I have just got my Mac. I have a number of websites and have always used Frontpage to make and edit pages. I know it gets a bad rap but for me it was simple and easy to use and did the trick. Now I have my Mac what can I use that will allow me to easily import my files and work on them. Dreamweaver is just too complex and time consuming. My sites are all fairly simple, mainly just text and graphics. Is Rapidweaver a good alternative then?

  2. #2

    Collin Bl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2009
    Location
    Napier NZ
    Posts
    3,294
    Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    i looked at the Rapidweaver and decided that iWeb was easier so had a shot at doing a new one for the club - will be here for another couple of weeks but have a nosy at a first attempt.
    http://www.aughb.org.nz/

  3. #3

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Hi there. I know you're new at this, and that's alright, but like I say to most people, WYSIWYG does not usually do a good job.

    iWeb, Rapidweaver, and similar programs, tend to create extra codes, files, and directories that are not needed. You end up with a website that is a mess to take care of and it causes more trouble than it's worth. The only true way in my opinion to get a good looking website is to code it by hand.
    Chris K.

  4. #4

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    Hi there. I know you're new at this, and that's alright, but like I say to most people, WYSIWYG does not usually do a good job.

    iWeb, Rapidweaver, and similar programs, tend to create extra codes, files, and directories that are not needed. You end up with a website that is a mess to take care of and it causes more trouble than it's worth. The only true way in my opinion to get a good looking website is to code it by hand.
    Yeah but that's not easy for some people. You actually have to sit down and learn coding plus know what it does and when to use it. That takes awhile to learn.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  5. #5

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    ^Agreed, but it's well worth it. I'm not going to lie and say I'm any kind of expert, but I can do some basics. The end result is a website that looks a lot better than ANYTHING Rapid Weaver or iWeb or Frontpage, etc. can produce. WYSIWYG editors lack the flexibility to do what YOU want and not what somebody has made with a template.
    Chris K.

  6. #6

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,872
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    RapidWeaver is a solid product and a good alternative to FrontPage.

    iPod Nano, if you like to hard code your pages, good for you - but the question was what Mac software is comparable to FrontPage.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7

    Scott_A's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 13, 2008
    Location
    Elkhorn, Nebraska
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by thetravelbug View Post
    I have just got my Mac. I have a number of websites and have always used Frontpage to make and edit pages. I know it gets a bad rap but for me it was simple and easy to use and did the trick. Now I have my Mac what can I use that will allow me to easily import my files and work on them. Dreamweaver is just too complex and time consuming. My sites are all fairly simple, mainly just text and graphics. Is Rapidweaver a good alternative then?
    I was in the same boat. I tried Rapidweaver and uninstalled it in a matter of weeks. Turns out I had gotten spoiled with Frontpage's built-in FTP processing and I simply didn't want to fool with having to move files with a separate program.

    I got Dreamweaver and have been using it since. I think it has a reputation of being horribly difficult to learn and use, but, if you're an FP user, I think it's primarily a case of figuring out what the task translation is.

  8. #8

    Woodensail's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    28
    Specs:
    iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)
    Yep, I'm at that dilema right now. Front Page is so easy to use, I'm afraid to try something else that might be extremely time consuming. I change my site frequently as artwork is added and removed due to sale. So far, I have just been using my Windows machines to do the work for now, but I'd like to do the work on the Mac big screen.

  9. #9

    ZorroAMG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    522
    Specs:
    | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    I can do some basics. The end result is a website that looks a lot better than ANYTHING Rapid Weaver or iWeb or Frontpage, etc. can produce.
    Post up your hand coded site that YOU did, I can guarantee my iWeb site will give it a run for its money.....no template, designed ENTIRELY by me.

    Your bragging (and now mine, ironically) did the OP no good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FastMac Battery a good alternative?
    By iLaw in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
  2. Buy Motion for Mac, or good alternative?
    By Xplasmamonkey in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM
  3. Frontpage
    By Kenny48 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 06:27 AM
  4. iWeb vs. Frontpage
    By jbreezy in forum Web Design and Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •