New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Website Builder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamesgoody

jamesgoody is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I`am thinking of making a Website for myself. The Problem is i know just little of HTML.
So i searched for a programm that maybe helps me by making my website.
I found some Website Builder that sounded really great. But in most of the times there was bad comments in forums or in different portals.

Why are quit so much people against Website Builder? I mean some page who are built with an website builder are still looking great and when u put some time in it`s still looking nice.

Can you maybe tell my why most of the people are that so against that?
Or maybe some one has a nice builder that he can tell me.

Thank you very much
QUOTE Thanks
G3XOI

G3XOI is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM

They're against it because they are purists! And think that a website can only be good if it designed in notepad or equivalent!

I would recommend iWeb if you are a beginner and just want to get a site up and running quickly and easily, or Dreamweaver if you are willing to learn a fairly advanced application for designing websites! Both do the job very well!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I've been looking into Squarespace for a photo website I'd like to build. The features are great. It's very WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) oriented. Very customizable, very clean and extremely easy to use. No knowledge of HTML or XHTML or CSS etc is needed, BUT.. if you do have such knowledge, you can also put it to use as well.

I suggest checking it out.

Doug

P.S. Oh.. and you can try Squaresoft free for 14 days. No credit card sign up necessary. And NO.. I don't work for them. They were recommended by a photographer on a Nikon forum I belong to. (nikon cafe)
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

forget the purists.....there are still people who want to operate computers using dos
I use Rapidweaver, and I am happy with that as are my customers

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

All great suggestions! For the best looking and the easiest I say iWeb. Then there's also weebly.com
QUOTE Thanks
Dante2004

Dante2004 is on a distinguished road

Take a look at Freeway Pro
Softpress: Powerful, easy to use web design software for Mac OS X

Easy to learn...free 30 day trial. A dozen or so tutorials available (free) on Youtube.

Not the most powerful program, but will get the job done. Personally I prefer Dreamweaver, but the again I can work with the HTML code if I need to, so I wanted that flexibility.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Some website builders add a whole bunch of code that is really unnecessary or written in an inefficient way. iWeb is notorious for this and once the site is designed, modifying it outside of iWeb can be a pain. For those of us who write stuff by hand as well, there is also a sense of accomplishment that you just don't get with iWeb.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« interactive website creation on mac | iweb HTML problem »