New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

2 questions about my iWeb 09' website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JDmtnbikr

JDmtnbikr is on a distinguished road

First question is, is it possible to have "hidden" pages? Meaning pages that can be navigated to by hitting certain buttons but don't show up on the Home/Welcome page? The reason I ask is my site is growing more and more and I want to keep it looking clean, and not have 20 page names at the top of the Home/Welcome page. Is this possible?

Secondly how difficult would it be to add a simple message/bullentin board in iWeb 09?

Thanks for any help!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Off hand idea...

Create a new 'Site' with the new pages, link to that from your button. You have to know where to link to of course. In the destination folder of your main site, create a subfolder where you update your second site. Based on that create a relative or exact link to where that would be from the internet.

I'm not sure how to link back.

For the bulletin board, I think you have to install one of the common ones out there to your site and create a link from you iWeb page.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
JDmtnbikr

thanks x-step

if i went that route though, would I need to register a new site/domain? or could it be a non visible or active site with just the pages viewable when clicked?
QUOTE Thanks
Unibody

Unibody will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody (Jan 09)

You can hide your current page from the navbar in Inspector.

As for the message board, does your server have MySQL and PHP? If so, download some free forum software (I like SMF).

If not, you can use a free forum host (Free SMF Hosting - Free SMF Forum hosting - SMFNEW.COM). The former is a better choice though, because you get more control and no ads.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmtnbikr View Post
if i went that route though, would I need to register a new site/domain? or could it be a non visible or active site with just the pages viewable when clicked?
I was referring to what iWeb counts as a site. Try File-->New Site to see what I meant. Anyway, I don't think it matters now...

I think Unibody found your solution. Select the page of concern, open the inspector to the first icon, page inspector, de-select 'Include page in navigation menu'. Then you just have to create a button/link from another page to that one.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
KingJon53

KingJon53 is on a distinguished road

Actually, for the page list up at the top, in the Inspector window>Page uncheck the 'Display Navigation Info' Box...

just needed to clarify that one

MacBookPro 17"
2.8 Dual Core
2 GB RAM
GarageBand, Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro are the Specialties...
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Actually, the request was to reduce the navigation bar content, not eliminate it.

QUOTE Thanks
JDmtnbikr

Perfect, thank you guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking of starting forum | moving iweb sites to another computer »