New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

redesigning my website.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Hello all. I am trying to redesign my website which I originally created with frames. I want to have a header that STAYS at the top of the page when you scroll down, but everything else scrolls. This is the effect I got with frames, but is it possible with iFrames? I thought that's what would happen, but I found that the whole page scrolls.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You can create the same effect with just simple CSS. I loathe farmes, iframes and the rest..just messes up pages to no end.

Fixed header shows how to fix any part of the website (header, sidebar on either sides, and footer). Where possible always use CSS to layout your websites, this will GREATLY simplify your HTML code and allow you to make changes to layout by manipulating the CSS file easily..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Hmm, CSS is not my strongpoint, but I'll try it.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
B-Ryan

B-Ryan is on a distinguished road

This is a barebones template for you. You would need to change heights and widths. The wrapper has a relative position so that if you use an absolute position inside any of the divs, they will be absolute to the wrapper and not the body.

CSS:
Code:
/* GLOBAL */
body {margin:0px;}
.wrapper {margin:0 auto;padding:0;position:relative;width:960px;}
div#hrd {height:300px; }
div#subBody {height:600px; overflow:scroll;}
HTML:
Code:
<body>
<div class="wrapper">
    <div id="content">
         <div id="hdr">Header goes here</div>
         <div id="subBody">Scrollable content</div>
    </content>
</div>
</body

16GB iPhone
17" MacBook Pro 2.93, 320@7200, glossy
http://www.bryanborst.com
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
Hmm, CSS is not my strongpoint, but I'll try it.
Understood, but know that XHTML/CSS is THE way of laying out webpages these days. Visit any website and take a peak at the sources and you'll see a number of CSS files being loaded to handle layout. The number of things you can do with CSS and the latest generation of browsers is absolutely amazing. So it's definitely a worthwhile thing to learn since it's no fad..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Hi all. Sorry to reactivate an old thread. Finally I am making an attempt to do this with a fixed header. I'm not quite sure what it is that I'm doing wrong. I have pasted the above CSS code into the top of my style sheet and the HTML code into my HTML page. What's the problem? All I get is my header text (not in a header) and my content text below it.

Appreciate any and all help.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Anyone?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Helpdesk, crm, or Ticket system type script in PHP? | Tracking MySpace Traffic »