New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Disable the ability of browsers to cache my website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Michael D

Michael D is on a distinguished road

I have a website and whenever I make updates to it I am unable to view the changes unless I clear my cache and then go back to the site. So if I am unable to view these updates without clearing my cache I assume everyone else is too. My question is, is there any code or something that disables browsers from being able to cache my website? Or if you have a fix to the problem other than this then that would be great. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

If you use firefox at all you can have it set to clear the cache everytime you close the web browser, seems that safari does not have that option that I can find.

Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
I have a website and whenever I make updates to it I am unable to view the changes unless I clear my cache and then go back to the site. So if I am unable to view these updates without clearing my cache I assume everyone else is too. My question is, is there any code or something that disables browsers from being able to cache my website? Or if you have a fix to the problem other than this then that would be great. Thanks
I'm not 100% sure...but if you're using Safari, go to the "Safari" drop down menu on the menu bar...and choose "Private Browsing". This may disable caching of webpage info.

You could give it a try...and post back if it works or not.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm not 100% sure...but if you're using Safari, go to the "Safari" drop down menu on the menu bar...and choose "Private Browsing". This may disable caching of webpage info.

You could give it a try...and post back if it works or not.

- Nick
I think he wants it to automatically clear so he doesn't always have to do it everytime , Private browsing will not save anything but then again he will always have to use the drop down menu and select private browsing.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
I think he wants it to automatically clear so he doesn't always have to do it everytime , Private browsing will not save anything but then again he will always have to use the drop down menu and select private browsing.
I was thinking that he could choose "private browsing" only when he is doing updates to his website. After his updates are completed, and he's happy with them, then he could "deselect" private browsing.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I was thinking that he could choose "private browsing" only when he is doing updates to his website. After his updates are completed, and he's happy with them, then he could "deselect" private browsing.

- Nick
Ah yes that would make alot of sense. Its one extra step BUT that would work just as well.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I think you want to look into the Expires HTML meta tag. See this page for one explanation and sample.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Tell us what browser you are using.

The browser should automatically fetch the newest copy of the page. There must be a setting you have on your browser that says to only show the cached page.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

For firefox and safari, all I have to do is reload the page and the new changes are reflected.

Dunno why yours isn't doing the same.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating a myspace icon link on Iweb page | Apache File Permissions? »